Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

POD HD500X Input Pad problem.

MrGabbo

Hello guys, this is my first post on the forum.

I've had my POD for about 2 years now, and I noticed something very annoying.

Long story short, I have one guitar with EMG active and all my other guitars are passive with a lower output, and my tones are set up for those guitars, so when I use the active one I have to utilize the input pad to balance the gain. When I do this, everything is fine until I roll the volume all the way off on my guitar or use the killswitch, which causes a weird, loud hissing sound that either stops after a second or two or keeps going until I get the volume back up, changing in pitch and intensity. It happens with every guitar I own. Has anyone of you experienced this problem? Did you solve it somehow?

make sure you have the latest firmware v. 2.62.00 installed... if not, save your patches on the computer, and install it.. as it should solve all the known bugs..

in any case, do also a global reset and pedal calibration: Global Settings Reset

I tried, the latest patch was already installed and I did what you just said and the problem didn't go away at all.

Adjust the height of your pickups.

My pickups are fine and it doesn't go away when I change the guitar, the noise comes from the "PAD" setting itself. It happens on every guitar when Guitar In is set to PAD, and it never happens when Guitar In is set to Normal.

You say that your pickup height is fine, but you have a volume difference between guitars. 

Sounds like you need to adjust the pickup height. 

The problem is not the volume difference between the guitar, it is the fact that the whenever I switch the input pad on and roll the volume all the way down it makes a weird noise. EMG's are never gonna have the same volume as the pickups on my strat and that's why I tried to use the input pad.

noise sample.mp3

The problem is not the volume difference between the guitar, it is the fact that the whenever I switch the input pad on and roll the volume all the way down it makes a weird noise. EMG's are never gonna have the same volume as the pickups on my strat and that's why I tried to use the input pad.

But you said the volume difference between active and passive is why you are switching your pad.

So, instead of using the pad... 

I would say that there is an hardware problem with the PAD circuit..

eventually try to move the switch up and down repeatedly .. maybe there's dirt or something inside has oxidized..

however if you can't use the PAD switch, as a workaround you can set the patch input2 to an unused physical input, doing so the effect on the signal will be more or less like using the PAD switch..

or, if you prefer you can put a Studio EQ at the beginning of the chain and set its gain to -6dB, and turn it on only when you use the active pickups

I tried moving the PAD switch up and down and spraying it with contact cleaner, it seemed to get better but not that much. The studio EQ thing seems like a good idea but I guess I shouldn't just settle with a defective unit if I can find a way to fix it.

But you said the volume difference between active and passive is why you are switching your pad.

So, instead of using the pad... 

Yeah, but like I said, I'd rather have a fully functional POD.