Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Help getting started with MIDI

feffa86

I have a Helix rack and a Kemper rack hooked up to the Helix' FX loop. I have no prior experience with using MIDI, other than using a MIDI keyboard with a DAW years back. But everything was setup in such a way that I just plugged it in and played.

So I want to use the Helix to control certain features of the Kemper. I want to be able to use the stomps on the Helix Controller to maybe scroll through rigs on the kemper. I want to see if I can set them up to turn off the "EFFECTS" or "STOMPS" section on the kemper, and possibly to "disable" the kemper so the signal goes through clean. I don't want guides on how to do this, I just want to learn to use MIDI so I can work these things out myself. I've read a little bit in the Helix/Kemper threads, and Helix as a MIDI controller threads, and most of everything goes over my head. I don't know about PC#s and CC#s and MIDI channels and what any of this is. So coming from that I'm asking if anyone can point me in a direction as far as learning MIDI goes. Anyone have a good guide/video/whatever that got you started?

Google "MIDI Basics". Here's one result:

http://tweakheadz.com/how-to-get-started-with-midi-and-the-difference-between-midi-and-audio-is-explained-along-with-many-other-core-concepts-for-building-a-home-recording-studio/

Could be TMI there. Here's the basic basics:

Channels

There are 16 MIDI channels. Channels allow you to send messages to specific devices in a MIDI setup. For instance, you could have your KPA "listening" on channel 1, a synth on channel 2 and another synth on channel 3. By using "Instant Commands" in the Helix Command Center, you could select a different preset (voice) on each by assigning different PC (Program Change) or CC (Continuous Controller) messages as needed. Channel 1=PC#032;Channel 2 = PC#079; Channel 3 = PC#002; etc.

Program Change

Used to select a specific preset or voice on the device listening on that channel. There are 128 PC#s available. Some devices respond to PC#s 001-128, some respond to PC#s 000-127. Helix/KPA uses 000-127.

Continuous Controller

Generally used to turn something on or off in a device preset, and/or to assign a value. CC#s and values range from 000-127. For instance, a specific CC# could turn a reverb on/off (usually, a CC VALUE of >064=ON and <64=OFF).

A MIDI expression pedal might be assigned to a volume control with a certain CC#, and send values of minimum 000 to maximum 127.

The KPA can use either PC#s OR CC#s to select presets, depending on whether you're in browse mode or performance mode.

The Helix, by default, sends a PC# on the "Base" channel when you select a preset. 01A sends PC# 000; 02C sends PC#006. You can turn this behavior off in GLOBALS/MIDI, MIDI PC SEND, in which case only the PC/CC#s assigned to Instant Commands will be sent (and CC#61, don't ask why, nobody knows). Helix will also, when selecting a preset automatically send any toggling CC assigned to a button (not normal CC or NOTEs). At this time, there's no way to turn that behavior off, though that capability has been requested on Ideascale.

There ya go, that's the basic basics as applies to the Helix/KPA. There's lots more, especially when you get into Synths (the TMI I spoke of), but this should get you started.

HAVE FUN!

• Upvote 1