Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Disable Mic modeling on XLR out

k21267

Am I missing something or is there no way to disable the Mic Modeling on the XLR output when using the speaker modeling mode? I can't seem to find that option which leaves me to believe it is not available. I have a Friedman ASC-12 that I would like to feed the Powercabs simulated speaker output but without the mic. Also I do not see a separate output level control for the XLR output. That would be helpful when using other non L6 cabs. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks, I will do that. I agree why wouldn't the mic sim be available on the USB out? It's also strange that they imply in the Manual that the XLR output is adjustable by stating "The output is Line Level with a maximum of +13dBu"  using the word maximum seems to imply it's adjustable up to that level to me. It is seperate from the overall volume but has no level of it's own. Another possible manual misprint is the part about more information about using L6 Link connectivity specifically with Helix. They tell us to see the Helix owners manual, provide the link which is to the Manual which is a cpl years old and has not been updated. There is no info there about Helix and Powercabs at all. Probably shoulda updated that manual before printing the Powercab manual....

I doubt there will ever be a way to disable adding a mic when using speaker mode. speaker mode is tied to the specific speaker in powercab so trying to disable the mic would probably give some weird results or at least wont sound the same in a different cab/ or and frfr 

I accept that it may sound different, but if you have another FRFR cab and the feed on that XLR out is a mix of the speaker emulation feeding the Powecab with a Mic Sim, why not make it an option and we can decide whether it sounds like poop or not. At the very least have that XLR signal adjustable.

On another note, I've done a lot of AB testing in the last 24 hours with the Powercab. I have come to the conclusion that it's pretty damn kickass!!!  My big takeaways are, The main speaker, as any real speaker would, needs a little breaking in. It's a bit stiff. I split the signal coming out of my Helix and fed the PowerCab one feed and the other into a tube power amp feeding a V30 and a G12H 30 and A/B'd back and forth with a Whirlwind Selector. Obviously, the 2x12 had a little more body to start, but that was pretty easy to overcome. Tone wise I got em super close, but the 2x12 speakers have some years on em and have a nice feel when playing. I'm sure once the Powercab speaker breaks in a bit it will have a slightly looser feel and soften up a taste. The other thing I really dig, is you can turn the tweeter down. I found that about -10db so far works really well. I wish the Friedman had that. If I keep the Friedman I will hit him up to find out if it's adjustable in the power amp section.  I did feed the Friedman the feed from the XLR with mic sim and it sounds really good too. The problem is the Friedman wants the power section turned up pretty high for it to feel a bit tubey, And the Powercab wants to see the Helix turned up all the way, which results in the Friedman being massively loud. The Friedman definitely has way more thump than the Powercab, but it also has a bit too much tweeter for my taste at times. 

Next will be testing identical IR usage between the 2 and my studio monitors to see which is truer. I did a quick one, and off the bat the Powercab was the winner there. Great time to be a guitar player for sure.