Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Some quick thoughts on my new Headrush 112

mdf8780

Just received my Headrush 112 FRFR yesterday, and could really only play through it for about half an hour (we have a 2 week old baby in the house). Just wanted to give some basic first impressions:

1. It's freaking loud. I only took it up to about half volume, and the clarity at that volume is great. I played through several of my distortion tones (I play mostly progressive metal), with no discernible speaker distortion. My djenty tones were tight, and my warmer overdrive tones sounded clean. Switched to some of my cleans, and some saturated delays, and it just sounded fantastic. I'm sure with a little tone tweaking I'll be able to dial it in pretty quickly. 

2. It's compact size. It's no bigger than any other PA wedge. The sheer volume coming from its diminutive size is unbelievable. 

For reference, I'm coming from an Atomic 212. I really liked that amp, but I've outgrown it, and it's really not that loud. I have total confidence in the Headrush being able to cut through the mix unmic'd (that's not how I'll gig it), and it'll sound clear. So in summation: I'm really liking what I'm hearing so far. It's hard to beat at this price range. 

Thank you for this. I seem to be hearing more and more positive reviews for the Headrush and given that it's relatively inexpensive, it's currently on my radar. Question, would you say the sound quality, aside from the volume of course, is the same, better or worse than the Atomic in your opinion?

I don't know if I would say it sounds "better" or "worse" than the atomic. It does sound more clear though. I know the atomic was made to have tube warmth but not color your rigs tone, but it does color it to a degree. The Headrush just sounds cleaner and tighter.