Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Frustrated: Helix with EVH 5150iii head

mconnerus

Hi All,

I just got the Helix and so far what little I’ve played through it seems great. I know everyone suggests the 4CM to get the best sound and control. My questions are: if using patches form this site or some “artist patches”, I cannot seem to replicate the tone/sound. Someone suggested that I connect using the 1/4” out to the send on the EVH and the return from the evh to the Helix send for best sound. However I don’t get any sound at all. Do I have to add something to the preset/patch in order to play?

Guideance needed.

Thanks

4 hours ago, mconnerus said:

Hi All,

I just got the Helix and so far what little I’ve played through it seems great. I know everyone suggests the 4CM to get the best sound and control. My questions are: if using patches form this site or some “artist patches”, I cannot seem to replicate the tone/sound. Someone suggested that I connect using the 1/4” out to the send on the EVH and the return from the evh to the Helix send for best sound. However I don’t get any sound at all. Do I have to add something to the preset/patch in order to play?

Guideance needed.

Thanks

To use a Helix Amp through your 5150 POWER AMP section, you connect the 1/4" OUT from the Helix to the 5150 RETURN.

15 minutes ago, rd2rk said:

To use a Helix Amp through your 5150 POWER AMP section, you connect the 1/4" OUT from the Helix to the 5150 RETURN.

To expand on that:

Simple Helix Amp/Preamp with 5150 Power Amp:

Guitar>Helix Input>FX Blocks>Send/Return Block>Helix Send>5150 Input>5150 FX Send>Helix Return>FX Blocks>Helix 1/4" Out>5150 FX Return.

Helix Amp/Preamp OR 5150 Preamp with 5150 Power Amp:

Guitar>Helix Input>FX Blocks>Helix Send Block(ON=DOWN carrot)            >Helix Amp or Preamp>                              >Helix Return Block>FX Blocks>Helix 1/4" Out>5150 FX Return

>Helix Send>5150 Input>5150 FX Send>Helix Return^

By toggling the Helix Send Block On/Off, you get to use EITHER the 5150 Preamp OR your choice of Helix Amp/Preamp. With the Send Block OFF there's no signal to the 5150 Preamp, and the signal instead passes through the Helix Amp/Preamp. The Return Block carries no signal from the 5150, so it's like it's not there. With the Send Block ON the Helix Amp/Preamp is bypassed. Want to hear what a Vox AC30 Preamp sounds like through a 5150 Power Amp? You got it!