Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Recording Helix Rack Send 1 & 2 or 3 &4 to an external recorder

prashbez

Hi, 

I have a Helix Rack and was facing some routing issues, which I'd be grateful if anyone could advise on.  

I'm using Path 1A in the patch for the EQ/Amp/Cab/Delay/Reverb/ Volume without anything else on Path 1B.

I have connected the outputs of my Boss Eband JS10 to Return 1&2 as the Input Block on Path 2A. This is basically for playing backing tracks/ drum patterns from the Boss EBand JS10 into the Helix for jamming with and making patches/ testing new ideas.

What I'm also doing is using Send 1 and 2 as the physical outputs and connecting them with a Y Cable to the "1/8th Aux In" of the Boss Eband JS10 so that I can record my basic ideas on the fly without having to use the laptop/ computer and can later import them into my DAW. [The Eband has a convenient recording option for recording basic ideas].  However, when I select the output on Path 1A as "Multi", whatever I play doesn't get recorded into the Boss Eband JS10. But when the output on Path 1A is selected as Send 1 and 2, then what I'm playing gets recorded into the Eband JS 10. 

My problem is that I would also like to use Path 1A with the "Multi" output to record final ideas into the DAW through USB and at the same also have a back up recording on the Boss Eband JS10 with all the effects of whichever patch I'm using. This does not seem to be possible as the "Multi" output setting doesn't record into the Eband using the Send 1 and 2 and if I change the output to Send 1 and 2, on Path 1A then I probably won't be able to record into my DAW using "Multi/ USB 1/2".

I also tried to copy all the effects on Path 1A and make a completely separate signal chain on Path 2B within the patch with the input as "Multi" and output as "Send 1&2. This worked but the sound quality and volume seemed to be much lower in the recording compared to choosing the "Send 1 and 2" output from Path 1A. 

Can anyone help me with the routing of the sound to an external recorder or multi track recorder and is it possible to do what I'd want to do?  Thanks in advance for your help. 

Cheers

Prash

• Upvote 1

Have you tried connecting your Eband to the Helix main outputs rather than the Sends? Then by setting your preset Output block to Multi you should receive the signal on both your Eband via the main outs and also in your DAW via USB 1/2. You don't have to arm any tracks to actually do any recording in your DAW until/unless you want to.

Hi Silverhead, that worked for me perfectly.  

Thanks for your help, your suggestion makes my setup perfect now for recording ideas and also using the DAW option simultaneously. Just need to buy some more cables now to connect the Helix to the Studio Monitors. :D

I generally use headphones to play and record since I only get time to play late at night after work and that too only 2-3 times a week. 

I was earlier planning to connect the XLR outs of the Helix to my Apogee Element 46 Input 1 and 2 and then connect the XLR outs of the Apogee to my Yamaha HS5 Studio Monitors to use a separate Audio Interface for recording. But I guess with your suggestion and the fact that the Helix USB recording and I/O options are pretty good for my home recording purposes I might not even need the Apogee and can sell it off for buying some other stuff. Plus the fact that I can route the sound of the Eband to USB 3/4 or 5/6 to record that on separate tracks is a bonus.  

What do you think about only using the Helix for recording purposes instead of the Apogee Audio Interface? I suppose I can now dispense with the Apogee. But I was wondering whether the Helix USB recording quality would be as good as the Apogee. Will have to make some tests using both. 

Cheers

Prash

I believe your tests will show that the Helix is every bit as good as your Apogee as an audio interface in terms of sound quality. However, the Apogee has many more audio inputs and can be used for recording more instruments simultaneously. If that's important to you then keep it. Otherwise, time to think of what you will buy with the proceeds from selling your Apogee.

EDIT: Upon looking into the Apogee device a bit more I see that there are only 4 standard analog audio inputs. The remaining inputs are digital and require additional specialized input devices. (Helix, for instance, has an S/PDIF output that could be used for this.) Helix is more than adequate to support 4 simultaneous analog audio inputs, making it at least as capable as the Apogee in the analog realm. But I don't know enough about how the Apogee operates in the digital realm to support my earlier statement so I have crossed it out. Unless you are using Apogee's digital I/O capabilities you can sell it.

Hi Silverhead, 

Thanks for looking into this. For now I'm not planning to use the Apogee's Digital I/O so I guess selling it makes more sense to buy something else. I do need a Condenser Mic to record my Classical nylon string guitar so will probably sell the Apogee and buy a Condenser Mic. Thanks again for your help. :)