Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Observation On Footswitch Assignment "scene"

Received my Boss FS-6 footswitch today along with 10m of VanDamme 2 core multicor to make up a twin jack to jack with Neutrik ends :-)

Hooked it up tonight to test and play with footswitch operation and there's an issue I hadn't anticipated...

My plan was to use footswitch A to mute the FX using the assignment FX Mute set to Momentary... This works flawlessly.

The second part of my plan involved setting up two "scenes" and using footswitch B to alternate between the two. Scene 1 has the M20d ready for gig, ie all channels unmuted (except iPod/Menia) and scene 2 has all gig channels muted with iPod and Media unmuted. The idea: Soundcheck. Set background music to play using iPod/iPad over airplay through apple router. As we're about to start playing, press footswitch to mute iPad and open up the gig/band channels. As we finish the first set, press footswitch again to revert to background music from iPad. Ditto at start of 2nd set: footswitch to flip from iPad to band, then finally flip from band to iPad after finishing. Doing this, I haven't to worry about stopping the background music, it can just play on into a muted channel.

So I set up two scenes... flipped the footswitch and it correctly jumped to alternative scene... but that's it! It stops there. So now I have to go back to M20d and reset the scene on the screen.So, I set up 5 scenes: background -> set1 -> background 2 -> set2 -> background

OK, that works... but if I inadvertently stomp on the switch once too many and need to flip back I'm out of luck. The scenes have run out and we're stuck on the last one.

What would make more sense was if the scenes list automatically reset itself to the beginning on the next stomp if the end scene has been reached... that way, 2 scenes, and it just alternates. Would be nice to think that this relatively simple extra option might make it into next firmware release.

Further tests...

Hmm, tried adding an extra 3 scenes, perform -> background -> perform, the last being a failsafe, so we can at least carry on a finish a set letting me fiddle when we get to the end of the set to put background music on after we've played.

Hit an apparent snag but not sure if I'm doing something wrong; The footswitch will not advance beyond the fifth scene, even though there are four more set up after it Am I doing something wrong?

I can manually load scene 6 at which point the footswitch again starts advancing. :confused:

Incidentally, I've saved the "setup" and rebooted and this still occurs. The footswitch only want to advance through to scene 5 then stops.

OK, to look really sad and post 2 replies to my own thread!!!

Carried on testing. The halt at scene 5 doesn't appear to be specific. I started to remove some of the extras and the point at which the footswitch stopped advancing "moved". Not sure whether there was a corrupt scene.

So, I deleted ALL scenes and saved setup then rebooted.

Set the scenes up again and it now runs through all 6 without issue.

Finished as:

Background1 -> Play -> Background2 -> Failsafe -> Background3 -> Failsafe 2

"Play" and "Failsafe" settings are band channels open, iPod/Media muted

So the final scene is always a band one.

Still think it would be so much easier if all I needed were the two scenes and could use the footswitch to alternate; 1->2->1->2->1->2 etc etc or 1->2->3->4->1->2 etc