Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

G10 Base Unit - Connection to Amplifier- How Far?

Speezy

I have a Line 6 G10 Relay.  Have used it to gig many times and it has worked perfectly.  Because I have a pedal board , the G10  is first in my signal chain.  HOwever, I recently had to run a long 1/4" cable under a small stage to eliminate a tripping hazard due to a  mess of wires.  Since I used a longer cable than I had ever used before ( this was about 20' from pedal board to amp) I noticed a HUGE degredation in signal, to the point where I had to stop the show and remove the G10 from my signal chain and go fully wired.   So here is my question:

1. Does the base unit have to connect DIRECTLY to the Amp..( or as close as possible) for best utility? Seems like a stupid question..but this would basically bypass my pedal board.

2. How do you recommend using the G10 with a pedal board?  Am i setting it up correctly by putting it at the beginning of my signal chain or is there some other way that people set up their wireless units?

Hope this makes sense.

You should generally have a lot less signal loss with a long cable going from the G10's receiver to your amp than you would if you just plugged that long cable into your guitar. The G10's output is buffered, so cable length shouldn't have a huge impact. There is the Cable Tone effect built into the 1/4" output, but that's only emulating a 10' cable. Really, the only way the G10 can work is as the first thing in your signal chain. It's getting signal directly from your guitar, so there's really no other way to hook it up.