Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Low cut settings for cutting through the mix

ClausHIllerup

Hi all.

I use Jason Sadites Helix patch set-up, with EQ and compression blocks in the end. I recently joined a band again, and we are having our first gig next saturday, at a 50 years birthday. We will not have a sound guy at this job, and this is why I turn to you for some advice.

We are a 5 piece rockband, 2 guitars, bass & drums. I play all the lead parts, the other guitarist is my Malcolm Young :-) 
I play through a Tech21 Power Engine, with a full range Beyma speaker,- the other guitarist tend to have a somewhat dark distorted sound in his Rhythm parts. I primarily use PRS HB and the other guy uses P90s.

At our rehearsals I have experimented with setting the low cut on my solo patches as high as 180 HZ, as well as other things to cut through the mix. I really think this works well in the rehearsal room. 
From readings, I guess that a low-cut at 180 HZ is quit extreme (I got the idea from a guy mixing guitars in a studio)… 

So my question is: Is there something in this approach I should be aware of, when playing live in bigger locations?

I hope you could find the time to give me a hint or advice.