Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Volume loss with Wah engaged

fenderbenderlax

HI All,

I noticed at practice last week that when I engage my solo preset (which engages a way  and a delay), the sound thins out considerably and the solo is lost in the mix. I tried to compensate with a 6 db gain boost at the end of the chain but it did not make any difference. If I disengage the wah then the solo is cutting through the mix. Is there something on the Wah controls that I'm messing up? I usually use the Fassel wah in the default settings. 

Thanks

9/18/2019 at 11:47 AM, fenderbenderlax said:

HI All,

I noticed at practice last week that when I engage my solo preset (which engages a way  and a delay), the sound thins out considerably and the solo is lost in the mix. I tried to compensate with a 6 db gain boost at the end of the chain but it did not make any difference. If I disengage the wah then the solo is cutting through the mix. Is there something on the Wah controls that I'm messing up? I usually use the Fassel wah in the default settings. 

Thanks

You mention you are engaging your "solo preset", not snapshot. I prefer snapshots for this sort of thing so that is probably the first thing I would try. Find a preset you like and set up the snapshot for the lead the way you want.

If you prefer to use a separate preset for soloing that's fine too. If I had to guess I would say there is something in your solo preset that is different from the one you are switching from (other than the fact the wah and delay are not on). There is no inherent reason the sound should get thin when you engage a wah and/or delay. I would copy a preset you like over as a template for your 'solo' preset and then add the wah and delay. Check the Mix parameter in particular on your delay if it does not sound the way you want. How are you routing the delay via a parallel path or inline? Where is your wah block located in your signal path? It is often the first or one of the first blocks. Try moving it around. Bypass the wah and delay one at a time on your solo preset and see if the thin tone and volume loss goes away. Does the wah sound thin in all expression pedal positions? You might want to try experimenting with a different wah to see if there is one you like better.

19 hours ago, HonestOpinion said:

You mention you are engaging your "solo preset", not snapshot. I prefer snapshots for this sort of thing so that is probably the first thing I would try. Find a preset you like and set up the snapshot for the lead the way you want.

If you prefer to use a separate preset for soloing that's fine too. If I had to guess I would say there is something in your solo preset that is different from the one you are switching from (other than the fact the wah and delay are not on). There is no inherent reason the sound should get thin when you engage a wah and/or delay. I would copy a preset you like over as a template for your 'solo' preset and then add the wah and delay. Check the Mix parameter in particular on your delay if it does not sound the way you want. How are you routing the delay via a parallel path or inline? Where is your wah block located in your signal path? It is often the first or one of the first blocks. Try moving it around. Bypass the wah and delay one at a time on your solo preset and see if the thin tone and volume loss goes away. Does the wah sound thin in all expression pedal positions? You might want to try experimenting with a different wah to see if there is one you like better.

Thanks a lot for the detailed reply...my bad but I'm using snapshots and not presets...my main snapshot is my rhythm tone and the lead tone just turns on the wah and delay....

The wah is my first pedal coming in and the delay is towards the end just before the reverb...I'm not using the delay in parallel...I did try out a couple of different wahs and somehow the volume just drowns in the mix...one solution I came up with was boosting about 7db in the output block...then it does stand out a bit...I have not tried the different pedal positions and how it sounds...will do that next...