Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

M13 And 5150 Iii Midi Channel Switching...possible Or Not?

MaidenHawaii

I have an M13 as part of my gigging rig, and will soon be receiving in the mail a new 5150 iii 50 watt head.  I regularly run my M13 in latch mode, so my question is, would I be able to program the M13 to switch channels on the 5150 when I switch scenes on the M13?  After reading up on the head, plus watching some youtube videos, seems the amp is very easy to program.

But will the M13 MIDI be compatible?   Any help would be fantastic!!!  Thanks in advance.

Mike

• 4 weeks later...

hi Mike,

Just like what you do with your 5150III head, I'm planing to get a M13 to work with my SLO100 head, the question is, what connection method you'r using? in the front or in the FX loop or "four cable method"?

I'm planing to use M13 in "4 cable method" with the head, performing pre FX like "noise gate" and "boost" and post FX like "delay" etc. 

Have you try that?

THX~

Hey ZZ,

I went from the 4CM to the entire M13 in the loop, with a Boosta Grande and a Sonic Stomp in the M13's loop, and set the loop to "post all".  I liked how the 4CM worked and the ability to run what you want in front and whatever else in the loop.  But for me, it seemed to color the amp a bit more than I wanted it to.  Might have been just me, but I just didn't like how it sounded.  Plus, I basically only use it for the mods/delays/reverbs, so no real loss.  The amp is a screamer, and I basically use its gain stages as my tone, boosting the front end when I need with a BB Preamp.

My gripes with how everything is working now is:

1) there is a latency problem between switching scenes on the M13 and the amp channel...amp doesn't change right away when I change scenes from clean to dirty, or from crunch to lead. Doing scene changes within the same channel, no problem.

2) I have a comp setup in effects position one of the M13 on all of my clean scenes to remedy the volume issue between the green and blue channels.  It has helped to bring the clean (green) channel up to volume with the crunch (blue) channel, but now I have a pretty nasty volume spike during the channel switch.  once the channel sets in, it's all good, but it is right at the click of the footswitch on the M13 that I get this peak of volume that irritates me to no end.  When I take the comp out, or any effect to boost the clean channel up to volume with the other two, no spike, but now the clean is hardly even present compared to the other two channels.  And I had this issue with both cable methods, the 4CM and my current signal path.

I just recently purchased a Behringer FCB1010, so hopefully this will remedy the whole situation.  Waiting on shipment still, but until then, I make due with it.  Luckily I haven't been gigging for a little bit.  So I got time to R&D everything before I open her up on stage. 

I hope you do not experience what I am, but then again, the shared EQ on the clean/crunch channels of the 5150 is the reason for this, so I am sure your SLO100 will not have that problem.  The latency issues, not sure.  Seems I may be unique, but then again, my unit is over 4 years old and I have been gigging this thing regularly for about that long.  If I have to, I would purchase another one, for sure.  I love my M13!!! 

Good luck to you and your tone.  For what you are planning, the 4CM is the way to go.  And you should have great success with it.  It is a fantastic unit, just wish they (Line6) continued with the updates for it.  But business is business, and I can see why they stopped!  Nobody would buy any new gear, just keep updating the board!!! 

Hope this helped!  Aloha!

Mike 

• 1 month later...

MaidenHawaii,

I'm wondering if you could explain how you did this. I don't have a 5150, but a Mesa Rect-o-verb 50 head that came without a footswitch. I've been looking high and low for an original footswitch, but I happen to already have an M13. All the videos I've seen mention a "Amp Gizmo" or "Mini Amp Gizmo" to accomplish this feat. It is a standard midi connector for the original footswitch, so I'm hoping that there is an easy way to do exactly what you're talking about. I'd like to have one scene set up for the clean channel, one for the lead channel and one to duplicate the lead, but turn on the solo setting. 

• 2 weeks later...

Joe,

The 50 watt 5150 comes with a midi plug for the footswitch on the back of the amp.  So the amp is already able to accept the midi plug and is capable of being controlled by midi devices.  I believe your Rect-o-verb does not have a midi plug, therefore you would need the amp gizmo to control the channel switching and scene changes on the M13.  A small investment, but to me, it's worth it.  The amount of tap dancing I used to do prior to getting the midi all hooked up was ridiculous.  With the FCB1010, I now have all 48 scenes available to me...with no more than what it takes to go bank up, bank down, and select! 

It does have a midi footswitch plug, actually. The factory footswitch uses a standard midi connection. The problems are; I don't know what midi channel it uses and even if I got them to talk by changing the channel on the M13 to match it (experimentation, I'm sure), I'm not sure what to do on the M13 to make changing scenes tell the amp to switch channels. 

• 2 weeks later...

Really?  I always though those plugs were just 5 pin DIN type plugs, not midi...

If that is the case, then, with the 5150, the amp has a learn feature where I can program it to the channel I want the scene change to end up at...

M13 midi out to amp midi in.  Access midi learn feature, select scene, select channel on amp and that's it. 

Not sure what your Mesa has in regards to this feature, but if you get it working, let me know if you got any latency issues when switching. 

Aloha.

MaidenHawaii,

You are absolutely correct. It's just a 5-pin DIN connection. My "n00bness" equated 5-pin DIN to MIDI, not realizing that they could be used for different things. So, while it uses a standard MIDI connector, it's not actually using MIDI. So, I'm now looking at a Voodoo Labs Control Switcher as a way to interface the M13 with the amp. The M13 Program Changes that occur when you change scenes can be seen and understood by that device which can then be programmed with switches to tell the amp what to do. Sorry for wasting your time on this, but thanks for the replies!

• 1 year later...

Hello I'm looking at purchasing an M13 stomp modeler.  I currently have a Marshall TSL 100 head that uses a 6 PIN DIN connecter.  My amp head has three channels: Clean, Crunch and Lead.  My goal is to use my M13 to switch the channels on my amp as I change effects.  I have a Voodoo Lab Control Switcher that is MIDI compatible.  I've heard conflicting information on whether or not the Voodoo Lab Control Switcher will work with the M13.  Does anyone have any input on this?  Thanks.  

• 2 weeks later...