Sign in to follow this  
Random1643

Spider V Volume Pedal_Questions

I have a Line 6 Spider V 120W amp in a contest. It's been pretty fun, and useful for the small- to medium-sized venues I play in.

Managing the amp @ gigs I've been running the Spider Remote software on my laptop (sits on a media tray). I also keep my playlist and difficult to remember lyrics on the laptop. I always gig with at least 2 guitars, an Gretsch thinline in standard & drop tunings plus another - a parlor with a soundhole humbucker - dedicated to open tunings. Often I bring along an ac-el 5-string banjo as well. A G10T makes switching between instruments so easy! My challenge is that the parlor and the banjo (and a bunch of other wired-for-sound acoustic  instruments I own & gig with) either don't have volume controls or have really inaccessible volume controls. So I'm messing mid-gig with the volume controls on the front panel of the Spider 5, or making changes via EQ in the Spider Remote software... Not good. 

Therefore, I'm thinking I need a Volume Pedal. Looking at different sites, manuals, etc it looks like the Line 6 FBV3 Foot Controller gives me a volume pedal but....also adds a lot of other features I may not need. And my amp manual also mentions using the FBV Express MKII or the FBV Shortboard MkII. 

Questions:
  • Does the FBV3 controller simplify my live sound life? Or complicate it? Also how difficult is it to integrate all the carefully created & tweaked profiles (presets) I've already got set up in Spider Remote, including the effects set up within each preset that get toggled on/off per song?
  • Do the Express or Shortboard make any sense?
  • Or, maybe Line 6 or another manufacturer offers a straight-up volume pedal ? And I just can't find it.
  • Also would whatever volume pedal act independent of the amp volume controls? If I run an XLR Direct Out to my sound system, the amp's Master Vol is auto-killed, for a good reason. But I would want a volume pedal to still function. If that makes sense. 

So any constructiive insights, experiences, ideas are appreciated.

If you don't want to spend the money on an FBV3, the Express should give you a volume pedal, plus the ability to change presets with the footswitches which would make it easier for you to switch between electric and acoustic instruments easily.

Just repeating the other question from my original post. Will the volume pedal function independently of the Master Volume? If I run an XLR Direct Out - cutting out the amp's Master Volume - from the Spider V amp to the sound system, can I still control the volume with the pedal? Thanks.