Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix HX Effects amp switching clarification

maxm17

Hey there!

The HX Effects manual says:

(Note that, at this time, Amp control messages are not transmitted per snapshot when assigned to an instant command; only when assigned to a footswitch.)

Is this still true? Do I have to waste a footswitch slot to use the amp switching control (not MIDI) capabilities when using snapshots?

I don't have an HXFX, but the manual I have is for version 2.50. It says:

Command Center:

NOTE: The Value parameters of any instant MIDI CC, Bank/Prog, and MMC messages, plus the state (dim or lit) of any CC Toggle and Ext Amp messages are automatically recalled when selecting a snapshot.

Snapshots:

On the "Command Center" page, adjust the values of any Instant messages or press a footswitch assigned to CC Toggle or Ext Amp. Snapshots remember the values of any instant MIDI CC, Bank/Prog and MMC messages, plus the state (dim or lit) of any CC Toggle and Ext Amp messages.

If you have the 2.50 manual, what page did you see that on?

Thanks for the fast reply!

Page 27 of the 2.50 manual 

Rev A.

Under: Tips for Creative Snapshot Use. 

Just noticed that it is also stated as a "note" on page 36. 

Line 6 Tech Support guy (very nice guy) said he thought that was no longer the case.

But...

I need to be certain as it has a major impact on my pedal board setup. 

So if it has to be assigned to a switch (real bummer), will it count as one of the nine FX blocks? So theoretically I could have the amp channel control and another effect or two on the same switch?  And then using snapshots, have that switch on or off, thus controlling my amp channels?

So close!!

Thanks again for the help!

10 minutes ago, maxm17 said:

Line 6 Tech Support guy (very nice guy) said he thought that was no longer the case.

But...

I need to be certain as it has a major impact on my pedal board setup. 

So if it has to be assigned to a switch (real bummer), will it count as one of the nine FX blocks? So theoretically I could have the amp channel control and another effect or two on the same switch?  And then using snapshots, have that switch on or off, thus controlling my amp channels?

You should call back to support and ask them to verify that for you. I'm surprised he didn't offer.

If you have to assign it to a switch it won't count as a block unless you have something in a block that you want to turn on at the same time as you switch channels, but that would be better and more simply done by just having that block ON or OFF in the Snapshot.

• 2 weeks later...

Follow up.  

Took a few calls, but got an excellent L6 rep who knew the HX Effects really well and was also a great communicator. 

Sadly, when using Snapshots on the HX FX,  amp channel switching assigned to an Instant Command will be ignored.  The manual is right!

So in Snapshot mode, no way to switch amp channels and turn on/off effects with a single footswitch press.  :(

From the manual:

(Note that, at this time, Amp control messages are not transmitted per snapshot when assigned to an instant command; only when assigned to a footswitch.)

Really hope they can and will change this with a FW update.  : )

Have to wrap my head around using stomp mode instead so I can (for example) turn a mod pedal on / off and switch amp channels with a single footswitch press.  

Anyone have any insight or thoughts on doing the above in Stomp mode? 

TIA. 

8 minutes ago, maxm17 said:

Follow up.  

Took a few calls, but got an excellent L6 rep who knew the HX Effects really well and was also a great communicator. 

Sadly, when using Snapshots on the HX FX,  amp channel switching assigned to an Instant Command will be ignored.  The manual is right!

So in Snapshot mode, no way to switch amp channels and turn on/off effects with a single footswitch press.  :(

From the manual:

Really hope they can and will change this with a FW update.  : )

Have to wrap my head around using stomp mode instead so I can (for example) turn a mod pedal on / off and switch amp channels with a single footswitch press.  

Anyone have any insight or thoughts on doing the above in Stomp mode? 

TIA. 

Go to this thread:

I have spoken to multiple L6 support techs, and they don't really know for sure.

Unless C4TH was on drugs when he tested his HXFX, IT DOES WORK!

If you can't get it to work, please respond on the above thread and ask C4TH for help.

There's at least 3 threads going on this subject. Let's use that thread and get a definitive answer!

5 minutes ago, maxm17 said:

I replied to the thread you pointed me to. 

The question is when using snapshots will amp switching from an IC work? (analog, not MIDI)

Thanks!

I suggested the other thread because C4TH is the ONLY HXFX user who tested and verified that it works with Snapshots, and that's the thread he posted on.

Please use that thread to get him/her involved.

Thanks.

9 minutes ago, maxm17 said:

I replied to the thread you pointed me to. 

The question is when using snapshots will amp switching from an IC work? (analog, not MIDI)

Thanks!

Sorry, just saw your last post. Thanks!