Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Delay/Modulation - NOTE Parameters - SYMBOLS??

clearyrich

Hi,

Obviously this question only arises when editing FX on the Remote App.

I am not a music student and have only a very limited knowledge of musical symbols/notation

Does anyone have a definitive answer to what the symbols are equivalent to in note duration/value?

I get the  obvious ones  e.g. whole, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, 1/32 (that is the range available).  I think I also get the single dotted intervening notes - 3/4, 3/8, 3/16. 3/32 ?? -  but am struggling to pindown the  three note symbols that have a number 3 attached (symbol top right) -  are these supposed to be triple dotted notes???

I cannot find an answer after a thorough forum search and there is nothing in any L6 FX Manual that I have come across that touches on this topic.  

Those are quarter, eighth, and sixteenth note triplets. It's not entirely intuitive how they relate to their parent notes, but this gets the idea across:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT8xUtGc-2yIA420MnZQ_2

A triplet is playing three notes in the space of two. So a quarter note triplet is the same overall length as two quarter note. An eighth note triplet is the same length as two eighth notes, and a sixteenth note triplet is the same length as two sixteenth notes.

Thanks phil_m for that incredibly quick reply.  Ok so they are triplets - is there a standard way of expressing them as fractions, in the way  a whole (1/1) or quarter note (1/4) can be?

Also is my understanding of the dotted note  correct i.e. 3/4, 3/8, 3/16. 3/32 ???

Cheers,

Richard

4 minutes ago, clearyrich said:

Thanks phil_m for that incredibly quick reply.  Ok so they are triplets - is there a standard way of expressing them as fractions, in the way  a whole (1/1) or quarter note (1/4) can be?

Also is my understanding of the dotted note  correct i.e. 3/4, 3/8, 3/16. 3/32 ???

Cheers,

Richard

As far as the math - a single triplet note is always going to be 2/3 as long as its parent note. If you're comparing them to the whole note, it would be 1/6, 1/12, and 1/24 respectively. It's probably more useful to compare them to a quarter note, though, as that's what you'd be tapping in. So compared to a quarter note, it would 2/3, 1/3 and 1/6.