Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Effects / amp channel switching Ext Amp loud HUM

Trapt

Dear People out there,

I use the HX effects in combination with my Koch Studiotone 20 Head. Guitar --> HX --> Amp. I want to get rid of my original footswitch of the Koch and want to use the amp channel switch funktion of the HX. The Problem, i get a really loud hum. I made a video for you guys that you can understand it better. I use a TRS cable for switching. The switching works but this hum stresses me out...

Here the video:

Hope you guys can help me out! THANKS <3

I have the same issue. There seems to be lots of threads about this but I haven't found a confirmed solution. Some folks returned their units. Others suggest buying / building relay isolaters. Others suggest voltage in the ext plug causes it. If you find a solution please post here! Thanks. 

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Use a ebtech hum x to isolate the ground of the amp.  Not the same as lifting the ground (dangerous).  If you want to make sure that is is a ground loop caused by your pedals and amp w the switcher connection.  Use a 3 to 2 ground lift plug for testing.  Do not use this for live shows as a long term solution because it is dangerous.  It will tell you if the ebtech will solve your problem .

• 7 months later...

I know it's been some time and it doesn't look like a solution was found, but I had the same problem with my B52 at100 head. In scouring the internet, I came across a random forum where someone found a solution for this. For those using a TRS cable, you can open each end of the cable and desolder the sleeve wire from the sleeve of the connection. I think it has something to do with the fact that the sleeve connection from the amp would power the lights on the amp's included footswitch, so there's a small electrical current flowing through the sleeve, and that translates to hum when connected to the hx effects amp control input (I'm a dunce when it comes to electrical, so I could be wrong on this). Disconnecting the sleeve wire in the cable got rid of the hum for me and I haven't had any electrical issues stemming from that, so give that a try.