Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix as audio interface to iOS for live streaming

DOndek

Hi all, So I'm doing live streaming gigs on Facebook and Instagram Live.  Currently using the built in mics on the iPhone and iPad to pick up the audio in the room from my PA (running my vocal mic and guitars through my Helix floor). Does anyone know of a way to connect the Helix to the iPhone/iPad lightning port and use the Helix as a direct audio interface to Facebook/Instagram Live for the audio during live streaming?  Thanks!  

Can’t talk about how or if this would work for Facebook/instagram live, but the Apple camera kit cable will get Helix’s USB output channels (via USB cable) into your iPad or iPhone. Works for me doing play alongs, looping app, mixing with a drummer app, and probably could made to work with what you want, but the latter is just my guess.

Thx for the reply, I'll give that a try.  A little more context as the connections will be a little more 'involved' than just the Helix.  I will need to have a lightning cable splitter connected to the iPad as I'll plug the Apple camera kit cable to one side (for the Helix audio signal), and then I have another adapter which lets me connect an HDMI cable to it so I can replicate my Facebook Live stream to a large screen TV so I can see the Live feed (to see viewer comments, etc).  I'm hoping that will all work together!  

• 1 month later...

Hi. I did buy the Apple camera kit adapter but haven’t used it for this purpose. Instead, I went a different rout via an audio interface with a usb to lightning output. So I run all my guitars through my Helix and my vocal mic into a mixer. Mixer output goes to the audio interface (AudioBox iTwo). ITwo usb to lightning output cable runs to a 2 into one lightning adapter: one input is from the iTwo, the other is for iPad output to a large screen TV so I can monitor the Facebook Live feed on a big screen to see comments, song requests, etc. I’ve received a lot of comments that the sound is very good, so, so far, so good!  Hope that helps. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, DOndek said:

I went a different rout via an audio interface with a usb to lightning output. So I run all my guitars through my Helix and my vocal mic into a mixer.

That would be the biggest problem with going direct into an iOS device - can't use anything other than the first input device it catches. Also this same device would be the output. Although with Helix Floor that has XLR mic input that should not be a problem - it is a mixer in itself. Also I just found out today that Helix (at least Stomp and I suspect others since it's obviously by design) does not output what it gets as a "backing track" from USB to its USB output, just the guitar. It does output everything to analog outs though. So if you are running backing track from iOS to Helix via USB, then play guitar and vocal mic on top of it, everything goes to analog outs, but only guitar and (I am not sure - I just have a Stomp) micrphone to iOS via USB for streaming.