Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Rack Knobs + Joystick - quick advice needed

schildkroete

Hello,

I am a new Helix user and have just received my Helix Rack and Control last week. I am still somehow overwhelmed by the endless possibilities but I just love my experience with experimenting so far very much!

However, I have discovered a small issue and just wanted to check if this is normal and if I am just trying to find a fault where there is none. I may just be overly picky, having just spent that amount of money.

So, it's about the 6 adjustment knobs below the display. I have noticed that they do not all have the exact same angle and the same distance to the unit itself. You can see what I mean on the photo. I noticed this mainly because knob 5 is a bit more far away from the chassis so I could see a bit of the metal. When taking a closer look I noticed that they are all not perfectly aligned. The photo may be overemphasizing the matter a bit because of a certain wide angle of the lens.

So, what do you think? How do thes knobs look on your devices? All the 6 feel and work as inteded though.

My other question is about the joystick: I noticed that - viewing from the side - it is pointing slightly downwards. This leads to having to push just a tiny bit more for going "up" than for "down", "left" and "right". I was not able to get a good photo of what I mean. The surface of the joystick is not exactly parallel to that of the volume control, just slightly maybe 1 or 2 degrees. As a result, I have to move the joystick maybe 3mm up to trigger the function but maybe only 1mm down, left or right (I did not "measure" these values, it's just a "feeling").

Everything seems to work fine nevertheless. I just want to make sure that this is somehow normal and within production tolerance...? How is this on your Helix Rack units? Should I be concerned?

Thanks!

helixrack.jpg

I would say they need to look like knobs 3 & 4. I guessing you've already done this but have you tried reseating any of the knobs? If so, if you take the knob off, does the metal post appear "off"? I'm like you and don't want to be a whiner but it's such an expensive piece of gear (at least for me) if the posts themselves aren't straight, I would return it. Sorry dude, what a hassle.

Thanks for your answer! That was actually helpful, because at first, I had not really dared to take off the knobs. I did try, but only very carefully, and because they sit on the metal posts very tight I didn't pursue that because I thought maybe they're not meant to be taken off.

So, I took off two knobs. One "good" looking and the 5th, the most "off" looking. The metal posts apeared to look absolutely straight. I exchanged the 2 knobs and then the 5th knob looked fine and the other one was crooked.

So for me that means it's just the plastic pieces that were made poorly and with irregular quality. And I think I can live with that! I think it "should" look more even and perfect (for the price), but after all I bought the Helix for the sound. :-)

Just one question to other Rack owners:  Is it normal that the joystick has a tiny bit more travel to the "up" direction than to the other three? I am a bit scared that the joystick (which is going to be used a lot) may be a weak point of the whole device..... ?!