Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Help needed setting up studio vocals

Elliott1194

Hi all,

My band is currently doing some demoing for a few tracks and we've just go to vocals. My setup is pretty basic as a makeshift home studio and I have been using my Helix LT to track my guitars and i also used it to monitor playback through the speakers out of the Helix. 

My setup thus far is Helix into PC via USB lead then: Guitar into helix input, then out of the stereo outputs into my SubZero speakers monitoring Reaper (my DAW)

However for tracking vocals I can't seem to find a configuration so I can use the helix to monitor the vocals from the mic in the other room as I have to use my Focusrite for the AISO to get the mic to work, which means the Helix won't provide playback to the speakers. Does anyone know a setup for this?

On 9/27/2020 at 4:09 PM, Elliott1194 said:

Does anyone know a setup for this?

Hi Elliott,

If you want to do this without any costs by investing in some extra kit, you will simply need to do a little re-patching of the stuff you already have. 

Assuming you have got the track basics down to where you want them, i.e. Drums, Bass, Guitars and Keyboards etc. You can capture the vocal using the mic and your Focusrite interface. You don’t say which Focusrite you are using, but I’m going to guess that it is a Scarlett model. You need to connect your SubZero monitors to the Focusrite for playback of all your tracks (select it as the interface in your DAW), but you should hook up some cans to the phones socket on the front to listen to a guide mix while laying down the vocal, with the speakers turned off. Once you have a good vocal down you can mess around with it as much as you like.

Obviously this about as basic as it gets. Quick and dirty, but give it whirl.

Shame your LT doesn’t have the mic inputs like the Helix floor.

Hope this helps/makes sense.