Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

spider V recording sounds terrible

emmawatson95

Hey, I have a Line 6 spider V120 and when I try to record tracks to my pc the audio sounds terrible. I keep the volume between -12db to -24db but everything sounds so crackly and you barely can hear anything through the static (my pc is directly connected to the amplifier). I've searched everywhere for an answer but no one seems to have this issue. I have no idea what the problem might be.

What recording program are you using? There are different reasons you are having the problem.

1. if you are recording into a typical daw- Pro Tools, Cubase, Cakewalk, you have to designate which is master and which is slave. The Spider should be the master and you can monitor through the Spider speakers or use the line outputs into your system to monitor

2. the sample rate of the Spider is not matching the sample rate of your recording program. Try different sample rates in the recording program- 44.1, 48k etc and that should solve your problem.

Check out this video which can help explain. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeWtRSGHlYw

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

i think i have the same issue as the starter of the topic.

I also use my v120 as audio interface with my pc. I trieed Cubase 10.5 which came with the amp, but also tried Ableton Live. Both with the same plugins and all using ASIO drivers from Line6.

The connection by USB is working and i get the sound into the DAW software, but the sound is not good.

It seems that the sound of the amp is the preset sound of the amp, and not the guitar only sound. So i think the problem is, for me, that i have to disable the presets / settings of the amp to use my DAW software with plugins.

But how is this done? What settings do i have to use to get the Spider as a clean audio interface without any modeling from the amp into my DAW?

And what would be the best way to monitor my recording?

In the moment i hear it through the amp itsels, but how can i use the speakers of my pc for example? In both DAWs i use for testing i can only use the same driver for input and output, it is not possible to select ASIO Spider v for input and the sound cards ASIO driver from the pc as output...

I'm thinking of getting a real audio interface, but maybe it is not necessary with the right settings of the amp.

I'm no professional, i just want to practice with the plugins / DAW to check my practice :-)

Michael

• 1 month later...
On 12/27/2020 at 1:47 PM, fflbrgst said:

Are you recording through the USB connection?

Yes, and the problem has gotten worse, the amp won't connect at all now. I thought it could not get worse when it started disabling all the other usb ports while occupying one (the amp did not even work on the computer), but now my computer does not even recognize that something is plugged in when I connect my amp. I really need help I'm really frustrated, I could not find a single forum that solves my problem.

On 12/24/2020 at 7:02 PM, gtrman100 said:

What recording program are you using? There are different reasons you are having the problem.

1. if you are recording into a typical daw- Pro Tools, Cubase, Cakewalk, you have to designate which is master and which is slave. The Spider should be the master and you can monitor through the Spider speakers or use the line outputs into your system to monitor

2. the sample rate of the Spider is not matching the sample rate of your recording program. Try different sample rates in the recording program- 44.1, 48k etc and that should solve your problem.

Check out this video which can help explain. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeWtRSGHlYw

I have now used several. Cubase, audacity, cakewalk etc. but it was the same with all of them. Sadly it has deteriorated so much that my computer does not recognize the amp. I tried it on two different computers and it is the same.