Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix HF Trim and Speaker/IR Modes with L6 Link

rd2rk

Long title for a frustrating subject.

I've posted at length on this, as have others.

Until today I was SURE that using L6 Link, the Powercab was NOT properly turning ON/OFF the HF Driver (HF Trim) when changing Speaker/IR Modes.

This was partially based on visual feedback from both Powercab Edit and the actual screen on the Powercab.

Partially it was based on not trusting my ears.

Today I tried a different approach to the problem.

Using a stripped down signal chain, I created two nearly identical presets. Both have a Crunch amp, a stock cab and an IR (Allure). These are switched via snapshot.

A third snapshot turns both cab and IR off and loads an equivalent speaker emulation. All are V30 models.

Attached are the presets.

In Mode Test1, the L6 Link is doing all the work.

In Mode Test2 I'm using MIDI to MAKE SURE that the HF Driver (HF Trim) is turning ON/OFF when it's supposed to.

In Mode Test1, neither Powercab Edit nor the physical display on Powercab reflect the HF Driver (HF Trim) being turned off.

In Mode Test2 they both reflect the change.

To me, at 10 PM after messing with this off and on all day, they sound identical.

I may be suffering auditory burnout.

I may be losing my mind.

I hope someone will take the time to try this comparison, and let me know what you think.

NOTE: you'll need a MIDI cable to do this.

NOTE2: In your reply, please say if you tested with PC112 or PC212. I have the PC212.

Thanks to all who choose to take part.

Mode Test1.hlx Mode Test2.hlx