Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

XD- V75L - no mic gain setting?

Hi folks,

I am not very familiar with audio so forgive me if I ask a stupid question.

For my live- streaming session I bought a XD-V75L but I struggle to get a good sound. My audio level is very low ( barely goes above first line in the meter) . The only option I found is in the receiver “ output level”. But I am looking for input level though.

Since I didn’t find it, I put the output level to +12db.  But then I get really bad noise.

Any advice how to set it up to get good sound with minimal noise?

Appreciated,

vivi

Hi Vivi,

I am not sure about how you are using the receiver.  It provides two outputs one at "microphone level" (weak signal intended to feed into a pre-amplifier) - this is the XLR socket on the back of the receiver (which has three pins).  The other output comes from the 1/4" socket - that is "line level" appropriate for feeding into an amplifier.  It is about 10 times the strength of the microphone signal.

So the next question is what are you connecting it into? 

I use mine with a mixer and amplifier and there is plenty of signal.  I don't need to increase the output level of the receiver.

Ian

Ian,

Wow that is some new information. I had no clue that the xlr output is intended to feed into a preamp. 

in my case I am feeding into my Korg Kronos where I want to apply some effects, from there into my camera to sync it with the video.

I do have a Fireface 400 preamp, and the camera also provides phantom power. 
The Korg unfortunately not. So I guess I should go into my Fireface 400 first then Korg, then camera? 

Or use 1/4 directly to my Korg?

I haven’t understood the difference between preamp and amplifier to be honest. 

thanks for your help!

vivi

13 hours ago, ststephenswgp said:

Hi Vivi,

I am not sure about how you are using the receiver.  It provides two outputs one at "microphone level" (weak signal intended to feed into a pre-amplifier) - this is the XLR socket on the back of the receiver (which has three pins).  The other output comes from the 1/4" socket - that is "line level" appropriate for feeding into an amplifier.  It is about 10 times the strength of the microphone signal.

So the next question is what are you connecting it into? 

I use mine with a mixer and amplifier and there is plenty of signal.  I don't need to increase the output level of the receiver.

Ian

The outputs of the receiver are designed to operate at exactly the same level as a microphone so you can treat them just as if there were a direct connection to a microphone. In a conventional live setting, that means connecting the XLR output to the mic preamp input of a mixing console. (This is all explained in the manual.)

Don't worry about only seeing one light on the meter - that's normal. These mics have a huge amount of headroom so it's almost impossible to overload them. You'd have to be really screaming to light all of the meter LEDs! There's no level adjustment in the transmitters because they have such a large dynamic range, that they don't need it. Same as how a wired mic doesn't have a built-in level adjustment.

Your best option with the Kronos would be to use a balanced XLRF to 1/4" jack cable. Set the Kronos switch to mic level. The preamps in there won't be particularly high quality but you shouldn't hear any difference between connecting a wired mic to those inputs and using the Line6 mic. Don't worry about phantom power - you don't need it with radio mic receivers (and indeed some will be damaged if you connect phantom to them).

I wouldn't recommend using the jack output from the V75 receiver. It's the same level (I believe) as the XLR but unbalanced. If for any reason you do ever use it, you have to use a two pole jack (TS), not three pole (TRS), as the ring is used for digital communications with other Line6 products and will introduce noise if it's connected to an audio input.

Well said, Sheriton.  I was composing a reply but you have said all I was thinking about. 

Vivi, you might find  it helpful to read the Pilot's Manual (User instructions) for the Line6 receiver.  On page 13 it reads

Connecting the XD-V75 receiver
The receiver features a balanced XLR and unbalanced (tip-sleeve) quarter-inch connector. To connect
to a mixing board or powered mixer, use a microphone cable between the receiver output and the
mixer’s mic-level input – in the same way as you would connect a wired microphone. In its [NORMAL
(+0 dB)] setting, the output of the XD-V75 receiver is virtually identical to that of the microphone on
the transmitter (and the microphone models on the THH12 handheld transmitter emulate the output
levels of the particular microphones they model). If desired, the output can be adjusted in 1-dB steps
from -18 dB to +12 dB via [SELECT FUNCTION: OUTPUT ADJUST]; see
Audio Output and Filter
Adjustments for details.
To connect to an instrument amplifier or other audio equipment with a quarter-inch connector such as
a signal processor or effects unit, use a quarter-inch to quarter-inch instrument cable. The output level
adjustment also affects this connector.

Note: Do not use TRS balanced cable to connect to unbalanced output. The ring of the TRS connection
on the ¼” out is a digital communication line used to talk with other Line6 wireless products. Connecting
a TRS in this manner may create some digital noise when connected to a balanced audio input on a
mixing console. Only an unbalanced ¼” inch cable is recommended for this audio output usage.

This explains the background to some of Sheriton's advice.

Thank you guys for your detailed information.

I did read the (f)manual :) but it wasn’t clear for me to understand. 

I did actually use phantom power and it sounded great. But now I read that it doesn’t need phantom power and that it can actually damage my Line6. Luckily it didn’t cause any damage. 

I tried going into my korg /mic level using XLR to TR  cable but had the the same issue i.e weak signal and a lot of noise  if I lift up the gain.

So now I am confused :)

Again sorry ( can see the rolling eyes) , this is a new world for me.

vivi

9 hours ago, Vivilama said:

I tried going into my korg /mic level using XLR to TR  cable but had the the same issue i.e weak signal and a lot of noise  if I lift up the gain.

What happens if you connect a wired mic to the Korg input?

It might have been a typo, but you'll need an XLR to TRS not TS cable to connect (anything) to the Korg.

I suspect part of the problem may be that you're using a lavalier mic - because these are used so far away from the mouth, you need a lot more gain than you do with any other type of mic. The input on the Korg will likely be expecting someone singing at close proximity in to a handheld type mic which will produce a vastly higher signal level.

Oh I see, I will get XLR to TRS and try again. 
The noise is not related to the Korg as I get the same noise if used with other devices such as TASCAM recorder. 

Both XLR ->XLR and TS->TRS

Both same noise. Again if I use phantom it sounds good. 

Thanks a bunch Sheriton 

Vivi

19 hours ago, Vivilama said:

Again if I use phantom it sounds good. 

These Line6 receivers won't be damaged by phantom power but some other receivers can be. It doesn't provide any benefit so it's good practice to not apply phantom unless it's actually needed e.g. for condenser mics and active DI boxes.

• 1 year later...

I started reading this thread because I'm having similar issues. In my case, I am recording people speaking for a video podcast. I am using two XD-V75L units with lavalier mics. These are fed into a mixer and the mixer's output is fed to a Zoom H4N digital audio recorder.

I position the mics at about the middle of the person's breastbone. I found that with the dynamic filter adjustment set to "off" or "normal", the recording will have a lot of ambient noise, even though you cannot hear this noise with your ears. We turned off the room's HVAC but it did not help. I don't know where that noise is coming from. It is a steady hiss. If I set the dynamic filter to "Talk" it filters out that noise. But then the mic is extremely sensitive to variations in the person's speaking voice and angle of their head. If they turn slightly to one side, they get too quiet. If they look down, so their mounts are a bit closer to (and pointing at) the mic, they are loud to the point of distortion. I also get a lot of plosives.

I get no reading on the receiver's audio signal meter, but the recorder does show a decent recording level. But even though it looks like I'm getting a good signal, the recording is very weak.

I noticed one of the comments above about the difference between the XLR and TRS outputs of the receiver. I will experiment with that, but if anyone has any other suggestions, I'd appreciate it.

• 4 months later...

I tried both XLR and TR cable connections between the receiver and the mixer, or directly into the Zoom H4N recorder, and there was no difference in the signal strength. I have the H4N's record level at 70% and it results in a very weak, low volume recording. This is reflected by the record level meters too. This tells me I am getting a very weak output level from the receiver. I've not been able to figure out how to get a stronger signal. I don't want to increase the record level on the H4N any higher, or I'll get more noise. I'd really love to solve this. Does it matter if the cable is TR or TRS? I am using TR (mono) cables.