Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp with HX Effects

Flyingv67

I’m using the HX effects with the hx stomp. I’m trying to understand 4CM with these two. Richie Castellano has a good video doing this but one thing doesn’t make sense. He goes from hx effects send to hx stomp in. Then hx stomp out to hx effects return. He adds an effects block on the hx effects and the stomp is working as an amp only. He has effects both before the preamp and in the fox loop. Then he goes out to the board from the hx effects out. What I’m failing to understand is how is he still getting the cab sim when going out from the hx effects? Wouldn’t it have to go back to the stomp for the power amp portion of the amp and then cab and THEN go to the board? Any help is appreciated! Just trying to understand how that’s still working.

Helix amps don't have a true fx loop. You can put the fx between the amp and speaker, but that's as close as it gets.

Having the fx after the cab is more like what's done in post production in a studio. You just have to twiddle the dials till it sounds good!

Ok that makes sense then. I was just trying to wrap my head around it. Thank you!

So if I was just using the stomp with like an external solo delay pedal and plugging it into the send and return on the stomp is that doing the same thing then? Still no true fx loop?

19 minutes ago, Flyingv67 said:

Ok that makes sense then. I was just trying to wrap my head around it. Thank you!

So if I was just using the stomp with like an external solo delay pedal and plugging it into the send and return on the stomp is that doing the same thing then? Still no true fx loop?

Right, your external delay would not be in an effects loop between the preamp and power amp of the modeled amplifier, but would instead be between the modeled mic'ed cab and whatever follows the "fx loop" block on your HX Stomp chain.  

More-or-less a studio effect.

With a separate amp and cab blocks you could put your delay between them, and while HXS does include preamp blocks, there are not power amp blocks, so AFAIK, there is no way to put your delay in a position that would be an effects loop of the modeled amp.

• Upvote 1