Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Finding the Right Replacement Tubes for Spider Valve 112

xamantic

Hi, first time poster, have owned a Line 6 Spider Valve for around 7 years. In this time I've replaced the power tubes once in 2015 with the Sovtek 5881 listed in the instruction manual. The amp has been played semi-regularly, not a lot of hard use. Because the amp is starting to experience a lot of volume dips and crackling noises, I assume it's time to change the tubes again.

However, I've never replaced the preamp tubes and I'm sure it must be time to change them as well. I've been looking online for the Chinese 12AX7B listed in the instruction manual but I can't seem to find those anywhere, not sure if they simply aren't sold anymore.

When it comes to the power tubes these are the ones I was able to find: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003IE8GQK/ref=crt_ewc_img_huc_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AJFLJ7J2AIXGD

Can anyone please confirm if I have the right power tubes and help me find the preamp tubes I need to replace? (Again, I've never replaced the preamp tubes in the 7 years I've owned the amp.) Are there any alternative preamp tubes that could be used? 

Appreciate any support!

• 10 months later...

Hi, also first time poster and spider v. 112 owner!  trying to buy right tubes for  my amp...

I am able to find  Shuguang 12AX7B/ECC83 matched pair preamp tubes...is it ok if preamp tubes are also matched pair or there can be problem?

https://www.njuskalo.hr/audio-ostalo/shuguang-12ax7b-ecc83-oglas-32099165 

also i can find  12AX7EH by Electro-Harmonix...so shuld i go with  E. Harmonix?

thanks!

sorry for my english!

On 2/22/2022 at 1:09 PM, psarkissian said:

12AX7 EH is fine. pre-amp tubes do not have to be matched pairs. The Electro-Harmonix are fine.

Scooping up an ole spider valve 112 tonight and it needs some new tubes and the pots cleaned up. I know matched sovtek 5881wxt are must for this amp and chinese 12ax7s were recommended but sino 12ax7s are pretty much non-existent right now. I've got a pair of matched sovtek 12ax7wa on hand, will it work or nah? I'm experienced with ss and tube builds but I don't mess with hybrids much.

What kind of quality are the filter caps in these amps? I usually make a habit of changing them out with high quality ones while I'm in there if they come with low quality ones from factory. I got a schematic but no part list unfortunately.

Thanks!

12AX7EH would be better.

Having a schematic is a big no-no. Our legal consul is big on protecting our intellectual property. best if you got rid of it. 

As for brands of filter caps, don't know off-hand. 14 year old product, not much info outside of that.

And there would be liability issues with someone whose tech skills we can't vouch for, especially regarding tube amps

with high voltages. Best to leave that to an authorized service center. Shock hazard is too high. It really hurts when you get zapped.

1 hour ago, psarkissian said:

12AX7EH would be better.

Having a schematic is a big no-no. Our legal consul is big on protecting our intellectual property. best if you got rid of it. 

As for brands of filter caps, don't know off-hand. 14 year old product, not much info outside of that.

And there would be liability issues with someone whose tech skills we can't vouch for, especially regarding tube amps

with high voltages. Best to leave that to an authorized service center. Shock hazard is too high. It really hurts when you get zapped.

Okay will discard. Thanks for the info.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi. I tried to put a new gold balanced 12ax7eh in my spider 112, on V1. It gave a loud hum. I have two so I changed it with the other one. Again a loud hum. I put the original 12ax7b back and everything was oke. So it won't work all the time.

Greetings Ton (from the Netherlands) 

• 1 year later...

My Spider Valve 212 Power Valves need changing but the 5881 Sovteks seem quite difficult to get hold of since the political issues in Russia escalated last year. 

Is there anything close I can substitute or do I pay the extortionate prices for the Sovtek valves? 

• 2 weeks later...