Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Firmware 3.10 Oversampling test with reamped track - 3.01 vs 3.10

timeblock

14 hours ago, timeblock said:

Well... i don’t think it is “null” because as i said i hear differences; if you are saying that my test could be done in a better way you are absolutely right

13 hours ago, zappazapper said:

No, I'm saying do a null test and then you can analyze the difference. Humans are terrible at detecting differences in audio, but have boundless talent for claiming that they can. Doing a null test and posting a response curve would set the record straight. 

By "null test" I think zappazapper is referring to taking two signals you are comparing and flipping the phase on one. If they are identical then they cancel each other out and you essentially get silence. This is a good way to test if two signals are actually different from each other. Don't know how useful this would be in forming an opinion on whether the increased oversampling has "higher fidelity, fewer aliasing artifacts, and smoother decay trails" per the Line6 release notes. I would think a null test would be a better tool to confirm that there actually is a difference between the audio in 3.10 versus prior firmware versions although if the null test results were analyzed by someone fairly skilled with them you might get some hard data that would assist in more accurately but probably rather technically documenting the differences.

I do agree with zappazapper however regarding how subjective or flat out incorrect these comparisons can be given the changeability and unreliability of human hearing and perception.  But hey, I am always welcome to incremental improvements to the sound. Even if some of them are not immediately or substantially easy to perceive, over time those improvements can have a positive cumulative impact that can be clearly discerned. And maybe this improvement is more substantial. It will be interesting to hear other people weigh in on it(if they do).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1