Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Amp and FOH

FlyteBand

I use Helix LT mainly with two xlrs to mixer an FOH, soundman controls. I use in IEMS. I would like to use my Fender Hot Rod for some stage volume an back up, however still DI to mixer, (no mic) on Amp. My presets are pretty involved and simulated stereo with Amp models and IRs. My question is do I keep my Amp models since I'm using FOH direct even though I'm listening to fender on stage? Or should I lose the models and/or mic amp? Currently I don't hear much of difference with Amp and di into mixer an FOH. Curious on your inputs. 

I will add my main setup is board and Bogner Shiva Amp, mic up. Main reason for Helix is smaller venues an lighter load ins. ( My board weighs a ton, (Schmidt array) as does Bogner. The Helix is a God send with load in however I do miss the stage volume even tho I have in ears I still feel it. 

The standard way to do this is to SEND your L/Mono 1/4", pre cab/ir,  out to the FX Return of your amp but, IIRC, the Hot Rod does not have an FX Loop, so the best you can do is to split Path 2 before the cab/ir, go into the guitar input of the HR and set the tone stack to the most pleasing sound you can get. Either method assumes that the cab/ir is last in the signal chain. Or you could just do it without a split if you like the sound of the cab/ir through the HR.

The best thing to do is to pick up a cheap FRFR like the Headrush FRFR108 or FRFR112, or really any powered speaker, it's only a stage monitor after all. Lots lighter than a Hot Rod! If you go this way, get a short speaker stand to get the FRFR off the floor.

Hey RD2rk,

Thanks for the response. The Hot Rod has a poor mans effects loop which I use with my pedal board, using the Pre Amp and power out jacks. With the Helix I just use the input jack of amp coming from the 1/4 out of helix. Ive spent a good amount of time moving effects and splitting the signal, tried what u suggested as well. My end result was staying with original plan. The sound coming from my amp is quite thick an pleasing while the FOH PA sounds same. I did come close to purchasing the power cab 112 to have the monitor behind me but figured the amp would work as same. We have a small venue show next week, will give it shot, worse case is I unplug the 1/4 inch from amp while still maintaining the FOH with my xlrs. The Fender Hot Rod is not too heavy especially when i compare it to my Bogner Shiva combo, THAT THING IS A BEAST. LOL Thanks again for your input. Cheers. 

On 7/10/2021 at 9:36 AM, FlyteBand said:

Hey RD2rk,

Thanks for the response. The Hot Rod has a poor mans effects loop which I use with my pedal board, using the Pre Amp and power out jacks. With the Helix I just use the input jack of amp coming from the 1/4 out of helix. Ive spent a good amount of time moving effects and splitting the signal, tried what u suggested as well. My end result was staying with original plan. The sound coming from my amp is quite thick an pleasing while the FOH PA sounds same. I did come close to purchasing the power cab 112 to have the monitor behind me but figured the amp would work as same. We have a small venue show next week, will give it shot, worse case is I unplug the 1/4 inch from amp while still maintaining the FOH with my xlrs. The Fender Hot Rod is not too heavy especially when i compare it to my Bogner Shiva combo, THAT THING IS A BEAST. LOL Thanks again for your input. Cheers. 

I use the Helix straight into the low input a HR DeVille 4x10; I've swapped the preamp tubes to lower gain (12ay7/12at7) to deal with the twitchy volume pot, and it works pretty damn well at giving the best of both worlds- "real amp punch" and the ability to get a ton of different amp sounds out what would otherwise be a vanilla amp.  The lower gain preamp tubes might help you match the FOH patch sound and the on-stage amp sound better, as there will be less added gain and noise on the amp end.

Gotta say, the one drawback for me to the Hot Rod is the weight, but on the other hand, it just sounds so legit as a platform for Helix that I'm willing to compromise.  Maybe the "vanilla-ness" of the Hot Rod series is what makes it good translating the modeling without as much coloration?