Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Save Your Vetta!

XONE

Save Your Vetta!!

If you still use your Line 6 Vetta Combo or Vetta HD,

at some point you will have to replace the internal CR2430 lithium battery.

The battery doesn't last forever, so it's an eventual issue that you'll have to address.

Guess what?

It isn't as hard as you think it is.

Really!

I've replaced the internal lithium batteries in both my Vetta HD and Vetta Combo recently,

and the amps are performing excellently, and I use them regularly for gigs and rehearsal!

I posted a step by step guide with pics at my website which explains exactly what I did.CLICK HERE

I hope this helps a lot of Vetta Owners!!

I love my Line 6 Vetta!

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Hi XONE,

Thanks for your post! Last week I bought a Vetta HD head. I just could not resist. It was a bargain and I have good memories of that amp in the past. I friend of mine had one
and made it sound "killer". He used to be a Line6 sales guy in 2004 or so, and by that time it was the flagship. After reading your post I've got some questions.

1. Do you need to re-flash or download new firmware after replacing the battery? So far my Vetta seems to work fine, but I read some "horror stories" on fora about this issue :) I just want to keep mine in shape and I have a technical background, so I'm used to handle electronics, soldering etc. 

2. Do you have to take some precautions concerning static electricity ( since we are dealing with an microchip environment ) 

Thanks in advance for your reply.
All the best from the Netherlands!
Ron.

Hi Ron,

Hello to you in the beautiful NL from Southern California!

That's so cool that you got a Vetta HD, and are getting it up to spec!

I've received a lot of compliments on my Vetta HD tones for the last 18 years, including this last summer.

It will sound awesome for you!

1. No, I did not have to re-flash the firmware. Everything has worked perfect since the battery change.

2. I never had any problems with static electricity replacing the battery in the Vetta HD and Vetta Combo.

I wore latex gloves while I worked on the Vettas.

Here's a tip for the Vetta HD: Run it without Cab Sims through your aftermarket cab.

I've run mine through a Marshall 1960A 4x12 the whole time, and it sounds HUGE.

Let us know how the battery change goes.

All the best,

Will

Hi Will,

Thanks so much, for your swift response from sunny California. It takes away a lot of strezzz :) I own some more Line 6 gear. Variax JTV's and some DT25 Amp's, which are 
incomparable to this beast. Just today, I found an original 412 Line6 cab for sale. Is that a wise buy, or should I go for 2x 212 cabs or something else, like you
mentioned, Marshall for example. 

Right now I'm gathering as much info about the Vetta HD as I can possibly get. I tried to get hooked up to a Vetta FB group. My "membership request" is now "pending"
for 4 days or so :) but I'm convinced it all will work out fine in the end. 

Anyway, I hooked up my Vetta to a small 112 DT cab, at very low volume, for the time being, just to see what it sounds like and find my way trough the menu's.
I must say, it is beyond my expectations... even at very low volume. What a nice peace of gear... It's a shame Line 6 stopped producing it IMHO.  I consider it a very high end product and easy to use. When treated with care, it might last a lifetime I recon. The former owner told me that he thought, it was an upgraded version (2.50) 
I wonder, how to find out about that. Should I hook it up to a laptop and run "Monkey" or another program, or something? Or are there easier ways?

I'll keep you posted about the progress. Thanks again for your help! 

All the best,
Ron. 

Hi Ron,

I really suggest that you do NOT get the Line 6 Cab.

I have a Vetta Combo, as well as the HD, and the Combo's Celestion C90 speakers (same in the 4x12 cab) are an early attempt at FRFR,

and they do not sound good. Using a different, well-built 4x12 cab: Marshall, Diezel, Engl, Mesa, Orange, etc... will work excellently with the Vetta HD.

I would also suggest something other than Celestion V30s,

but rather 75s (G12T75) or even 100s (G12K100) speakers will give you the thump and the clarity you need to sound rich and full with the Vetta.

To see which version Vetta Firmware you are running, Press the System Setup button, and scroll with the Knob to the 4th Page.

It will tell you what version software you are running. If it's not Ver 2.50, then go the the Vetta Group at Reddit,

and you can download the Ver 2.50 Firmware.

You'll need a M-Audio Midisport Uno to connect to the amp ($50 on Amazon)

and download Midi-Ox to load the firmware into the amp.

Then you are finished, and off and playing!

Will

Hey Will,

Thanks for your reply. The good news is, my firmware version is 2.50 already :) The bad news is, I already ordered a Line 6  4x12 cab last week (the original, with the old logo) and it arrived  today from Germany. And just now, I read your post... (LOL) Thinking it would be a good match for  the Vetta...  Ok, it was a bargain and for the time being I give it a try. I can resell it or something and you can be sure, I'm on the hunt for the options you mentioned. I'll shop around a bit, carrying my Vetta around some shops here in Holland, while seeing the faces of all the "tube snobs" over there ;-) 

You see, I noticed (and it makes me smile a bit) that most of my "tube worshipping friends" show some disapproval when I tell them about my most recent purchase. The resistance against- and prejudice about line 6 gear in general , seems high and without a solid reason most of the time. To provoke them a bit more, I usually tell them that tube technology is ancient history anyway, which from a pure technical point of view, is correct. Of course I'm not really serious about that and there are a few tube amps on my "favorite list" and I love their sound. I would go for either an old Highwatt or a Two Rock these days if I could afford it. As you probably guess, I'm not a "high gain" guy. I tend to look for clean headroom (Hendrix, SRV, Mayer-ish  sounds) in an amp and that's what my DT25 lacks especially on higher volumes. I'm just curious, what will happen if hook up this 412, although it's not the ultimate cab. Last time I hooked the Vetta up to my 112 cab (G12-H90 speaker) it already sounded good to my ears. In a few minutes I had a usable sound, that I never achieved that quick with my DT25 amp. I haven't hooked up the 412 yet, because  first, I want to get some good cab cables tomorrow. I think coming weekend I'll start "hunting cabs". I keep you on the level about my adventures ok.

Ron.

No problem, Ron. You got the Line 6 Cab. You can definitely play around and find some options that will sound good.

Try this for a nice Mid-Gain, Blended 2 Amp Tone:

Amp 1:  Line 6 Boutique #1 (Dumble) (Brit V30 cab sim)

Gain: 12 o'clock

Bass: 9 o'clock

Mid:  12 o'clock

Treb: 3 o'clock

Pres: FULL

Vol: 2 0'clock

Amp 2: Connor 50 (Cornford 50)  (4x12 Hiway cab sim)

Gain: 12 o'clock

Bass: 9 o'clock

Mid:  9 o'clock

Treb: 2 o'clock

Pres: FULL

Vol: FULL

Master Vol: OFF

Bring up your Master volume and see how it fits your rig,

then tweak the parameters to fill out with your rig.

You're going to have  a lot of fun finding awesome tones in your new Vetta HD!

Here's a link to the first in a series of posts I put up about "Tweaking Awesome Tones from your Line 6 Vetta!"

Let me know how it goes for you,

Will

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Will,

It's been a while since I responded to your post. Thanks for your effort and advice again. I'll let you know how things work out soon, but right now
it's quite a hectic period due to family circumstances (My Mom is 92 :) and needs extra care)  and work. I repair saxophones for a living and right now the workload is high and I haven't had time to to get "into the Vetta" seriously. Anyway, I'll get back to you soon as tried-out your tips.

All the best,
Ron.

• 1 year later...