Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Effects with pedals

SithLordChris

I love using my Helix for modulation and some drives, but I would like to run it on a pedal board with pedals. I'll be running the HX Effects with maybe 3-4 drive pedals and two Strymons (Flint and Volante) into my VOX AC30. Where do I start? How do I do it? What would be a good power option for everything? Where do I place the drives or single modulation pedals? Any advice would be much appreciated! If you guys even have pictures of your rigs, id love to see them! Couldn't hurt to get more ideas. Signal chain running into the amp listed below. Thanks!

Guitar > Tubescreamer >Browne Protein >1981 DRV > Bondi Sick As >Helix Effects >Strymon Volante >Strymon Flint > Vox AC30. 

Guitar>OD pedals>HXFX?>Vox AC30 Input>AC30 FX Send>HXFX?>Strymons>AC30 FX Return

Whether you put the HXFX before the amp or in the Amp's FX Loop depends on what FX you're using it for.

Modulations usually go in front of the amp, ambient FX in the Loop.

But you might like the Volante before the amp, like they did it with Echoplexes before amps had FX Loops.

You may prefer certain Mod FX after the amp.

No hard and fast rules. Experiment. Find what works best for you.

Don't restrict your creative potential by looking for someone else's formula.

Be you, and have FUN!