Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Effects Stereo Loop Help

athomper12

I'm a very happy HX Effects user and I use it for all of my wet effects and a few dry or modulation stuff. I'm currently planning my future board and I want to keep my HX Effects. Right now I'm using a Walrus Audio ACS1 as my amp-sim and I've been having issues running it at the end of my signal chain (my reverbs are clipping). Anyways, I want to utilize the stereo features on my ACS1 while putting it in front of my wet effects in my signal chain. I could just physically put the ACS1 in front of the HX, but then I have to put some of my modulations after my amp which I don't want to do.

I'm pretty new to building more complex boards, and I'm wondering if the HX Stereo FX loop is a good option and if I'll need a Y split TS-to-TSR cable to run the FX loop. Basically, I need help figuring out how to put my ACS1 (mono input, stereo output) in an FX loop so that I can have dry effects in front of my ACS1 and my wet effects after it.

Guitar>HXFX Mono Input>PRE amp (ACS1) HXFX including Stereo ODs/Mods>ACS1 in FX Loop 1/2 using Stereo FX Loop Block and dual TS cables IN/OUT>Helix Stereo Post FX (delay, rev etc)>Main Outputs

I don't have an HXFX or ACS1, but looking at the manual (Send/Return section), wouldn't that accomplish your goal?

That's what I'd do on my HXS or Helix Floor.

• Upvote 1

• 6 months later...
On 11/12/2021 at 1:37 AM, rd2rk said:

Guitar>HXFX Mono Input>PRE amp (ACS1) HXFX including Stereo ODs/Mods>ACS1 in FX Loop 1/2 using Stereo FX Loop Block and dual TS cables IN/OUT>Helix Stereo Post FX (delay, rev etc)>Main Outputs

I don't have an HXFX or ACS1, but looking at the manual (Send/Return section), wouldn't that accomplish your goal?

That's what I'd do on my HXS or Helix Floor.

Hi could you elaborate on that for an idiot? I got an HX stomp XL and want to use my Walrus ACS-1 as the amp and use the HX as my effects unit.

Can you explain that again as if you were explain in to a 5 year old please?

On 6/6/2022 at 11:51 AM, zone999 said:

Hi could you elaborate on that for an idiot? I got an HX stomp XL and want to use my Walrus ACS-1 as the amp and use the HX as my effects unit.

Can you explain that again as if you were explain in to a 5 year old please?

Plug your guitar into the HXSXL L/Mono Input set to INST.

Put the FX (such as OD/Dist) that you want IN FRONT of your Walrus into the signal chain, followed by FX Send L Block with Dry Thru set to -120db (full left).

Follow that with FS Return R Block - using two blocks vs a single FX Loop allows you to set FX Send L to INST and FX Return R to LINE* and (usually) minimizes noise.

Place time based FX AFTER FX Return R Block. 

HXSXL Outputs should be set to LINE.

Using shielded TS cables (instrument cables):

Connect the FX Send L of the HXSXL to the Walrus guitar input.

Connect the Walrus Output to the HXSXL FX Return R.

Connect the HXSXL L/Mono Out (set to LINE) to your power amp.

*if setting this to LINE causes the FX Return Block to clip, change the setting to INST.

• Upvote 1