Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Effects / MIDI Channel Switching

dannyb819

Hey guys - 

I'm a 20-year player who is super new to MIDI and modeling, so please excuse the noob nature of my dilemma. I'm running my HX Effects in to my Mesa TC-50 combo using 4-cable with MIDI. I'm also using the other available loop to put some pedals in front of the amp/HX as well. Getting everything connected and getting good sounds hasn't been the issue - it's channel switching without lag that is and I'm fairly certain it's user error. I've been going into Snapshots, manually changing the amp's channel, then hitting the "Save" switch on the amp to assign that channel to the Snapshot, which works to get the appropriate amp channel assigned to the Snapshot, but when going back and forth between my clean and dirty channels (and back), there's significant lag in the actual channel switching.

Ideally, what I'm looking to do is use the HX to go from my amp's clean channel with some effects, to my dirty channels with different effects and back. I don't have any issues in figuring out signal flow within the presets and in some presets would cut out the loop in front and in others would keep it active, so that isn't my problem. Again, it's the MIDI and the lag in channel switching.

Any step-by-step help anyone can offer? 

I had a quick look at the manual.

Apparently, using a PC# changes all of the saved settings (that's what a preset is) including the channel, and there's a lag while all that happens.

If all you're wanting to do is change amp channels, use CC#s:

CC# 20 Value 127 = CLEAN

CC# 21 Value 127 = LO

CC# 22 Value 127 = HI

Use a simple (non-toggling) MIDI CC. Use any Value between 64-127 (127 is MIDI Standard ON, so I'd use that for simplicity).

Turning one channel ON turns the others OFF. 

In Snapshot 1 assign the MIDI CC command type to InstantCommand 1 (the first lightning bolt) with the Value required for the amp channel you want.

SAVE the Preset.

Switch to Snapshot 2 (command type will already be MIDI CC) and assign the CC# and Value as required.

SAVE the Preset.

Repeat for SS 3.