Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Replacement cabinet for Powercab Plus 112?

letterk

Here's my sad story. Bought a Powercab Plus 112 from Musician's Friend last year. It was an open box but MF said it had the full manufacturers warranty. I registered it at Line6.com and it showed an active warranty. Now the PC has developed the common low end buzz that seems common with these Powercabs. I brought it to an authorized service center and they can't fix it because it's a cabinet issue. They said the PC cabinet design is very flawed and they see a ton of Powercabs come through their shop. If it's under warranty, they send them to Line6 for a replacement since they can't get new cabinets from them. So off I go, but Line6 says my PC doesn't have a warranty. While I fight it out with MF, I'm left with a PC with a buzz that no one can fix. So I'm thinking I try to make the best of it and wonder if there is another empty cabinet out there I might be able to get to work. Any suggestions? 

Oh, that’s a sad story … Have a PC+ 112 too, have not had the problem you describe. Haven’t even heard of that problem before. Heard of short comes in software, cab sim's not as expected and some hardware coming loose inside (like this one, missing some mounting screws for the boards in the back of the cab…

But not a broken cabinet.

What in the cabinet is broken/loose and make it not possible to repair? I guess it's not as in the thread above, a loose PC-board inside, the Line6 reapire shop whould have nailed that... I mean, it’s a wood cabinet and a not that complicated construction, I think (have only seen pictures of the inside, but I have been building speaker cab’s before, not with bent corners though :-). If something is loos or there is a crack somewhere, it should be possible to repair. Someone that do woodwork should be able to help you. Guess I may underestimate the problem.

Anyway, see it like this – This is the opportunity to get exact the type of cabinet that no one else have :-). Make it a top with an extension speaker/cab or like a Fender Tweed or like a Bluesbreaker… how cool isn’t that. Here is some links to vendors who do cabinets for a living. If this is a common L6 PC+ cabinet problem, it may be a business opportunity for them :-) (I have a L6 Variax 500, still using it, but back then some vendors made bodies and necks and used the electronics and some of the hardware, became like a custom shop version of the Variax). I guess you are from US so the links are from over there. There is probably more links to find with some digging.
•    https://www.mojotone.com/cabinets – They have both “standard” cab’s and custom shop made ones. 
•    https://guitarcabinetsdirect.com/cat/cabinets/ – Theis looks more like standard cab’s, not so much custom shop.

Or, if you or someone you know can build one, both of above have the hardware, cloth, tolex and much more.

But I’m curious to hear what’s wrong with your cab…  

I do hope this ends well for you…
//Per

Well, my BBB complaint caused Musician's Friend to investigate and found the chat transcript where the sales rep told me it had the full manufacturers warranty. So they are taking it back for a full refund and I'm repurchased a new one. So the sad story has a happy ending. 

I am going to purchase the extended warranty after what the service guy told me. 

I'm not sure the specifics of the issue with the cabinet, but it had something to do with the way the components were mounted to the cabinet. The part that damaged was integral to the cabinet, which required a complete cabinet replacement. Glad I don't have to deal with it now.