Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix dual amp setup

juliusway

Hi, I've been a purely acoustic guitarist for about 20 years now and am now inspired to put together some tasty sonic experiments back in thew world of electric guitar with effects.

I'd like to create something of a full sound without requiring other musicians. My style is folky kind of finger style. Think Nick Drake, Damien Rice etc.

I love the tones of guitar in Sigur Ros with their elegant reverbs. I'd like to create something that can lean toward that sound but also where the bass can come through separately and not get lost and blended with the higher frequencies and all their reverb.

I'm wondering if the best way to do this would be a dual amp setup? From my research it seems this would be possible with any of the helix pedals?

So I would imagine running the bass line out with a sharp low-pass filter, relatively clean signal other than that, to one amp. And then the other amp would be available for higher frequencies and an assortment of colourful effects I could put on top.

Would this work and is there anything I'm missing? Or would I be better off with a different setup? Are the Helix pedals well-suited to this plan or are they overkill?

As an extra bonus question I'm wondering if there is such. thing as a cumulative distortion effect where I could have a relatively clean signal at lower dynamic playing levels, but where distortion gets racked up once I start really strumming hard?

Really appreciate any help on this, I've been out of the game a long time!

(if you want an example of the style I'm playing: https://open.spotify.com/artist/0LJsb0xwkDer6dZ2SKtFh1?si=ZXrDPbYTSjOO-0iIqBgmNA )