Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

POD GO purchased patches noisy

boltonfan62

I am using my POD GO as my go to for all my gigs so have been purchasing some extra patches both from Line 6 and other sources.  At home I play though a Headruxh FRFR speaker. For some reason almost all the patches I've picked up are quite noisy to the point of having to add a noise gate which in most cases removes some of the good points of the patch.  I've listened to audio of the patches before purchase and the sounded fine.  Does anyone out there have an answer maybe in settings.  For gigs I go straight to the PA.  Same with the Praise Band I play in and the problem isn't as pronounced but I need to be able to use them at home to suss out when to use them on stage.

Just as in the real world, chains that include high gain amp settings, distortion, compressors and boosted EQ will be noisier and require a Noise Gate.  This is far worse for single coil guitars (unless these are noiseless pickups).  Every user also has a different tolerance for noise, and it also depends on how you are using Pod Go, which eg will be noisier through the front end of a tube amp than through FRFR or a FOH PA. 

So it's a combination of factors. And its an issue with buying patches that someone has created to sound good with their gear, but if your gear is different then you will always need to tweak it. Noise gates are a useful tool but the trick is to find a sensible balance as between acceptable noise levels and dynamics, and not just set the noise Gate to maximum which will kill dynamics. 

Thank you for the reply and advice.  It's confirming my suspicions that a noise gate would be needed.  Despite the fact that I've been gigging longer than most people on these forums have been alive my only experience with a noise gate has been when it's already been part of a signal chain someone else created.  The whole no amp experience is fairly new to me though there's no way I'm going back to lugging my Twin or Marshall combo to gigs again not to mention that the gigs I do make them impractical anyway.  Time to research the appropriate use of a noise gate.

No need to research. Pod Go has an inbuilt noise Gate at the beginning of every patch signal chain. If it's not switched on, switch it on and adjust it's threshold and decay settings until you find a good balance as between noise reduction and playing dynamics. 

See the bottom of p16 of the Pod Go Wireless manual 'input settings.