Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp > 2 Real Combo Amps > 1 Effects Loop > Wet Effects Stereo FX to Both as L/R

jamiefillmore

I'm quite new to HX Stomp. Like it very much effects, models, all of it. 

Right now I'd like to wire up HX Stomp for use as effects only in a quasi-4 cable method but with two combo amps where one has an effects loop and the other doesn't and I would prefer not to have Amp 1's preamp sound into Amp 2.

I've run the HX Stomp in 4CM with my Mesa Boogie MkV:90W no problem. And to that setup I've successfully added my Fender Twin via the "Right Output" of the HX Stomp. That works and sounds fine. And the stereo effects sound lovely using the clean channel of the Boogie. But, of course, the Twin receives whatever preamp sound/channel I have set on the Boogie. I would just like for one side of the stereo "wet" effects to go to the Twin. 

And then if I can accomplish that, I wonder if the HX Stomp’s paths/routing would let me put an HX Stomp overdrive on only the Twin's side. 

This all seems do-able from within the HX Stomp. I suspect my pea-brain just isn't yet properly understanding how the two stereo paths in the Stomp plus its loop etc works—especially once you start adding stereo effects at the end of the line and then running two actual amps etc.

Any insights/help would be very much appreciated!

Thanks!

Jamie

Figured it out myself. I'll leave a note here in case anyone encounters the same situation / question. 

Wired everything up as for 4CM with my Mesa (using Left Send/Return on HX Stomp). Then connected the Right output from HX Stomp to Fender amp input. Guitar to Input as usual. 

Create a split in HX Stomp located before FX Loop L block. I put the FX Loop L in Path A after the split. Path B gets whatever effects I want to send to Fender.

The key seems to be to go to the mixer point just before the output (ie, where stereo Paths A and B are mixed back together) and hard pan them (ie, for me set Path A 100% Left and Path B 100% Right). 

I can throw stuff to the Fender by putting it in Path B. I can use the three channels of gain on the Boogie (without it going to the Fender). And I can have a stereo chorus, delay, and reverb go to the FX Loop of the Boogie and the input of the Twin by putting them after the mixer point that brings A and B together. 

Cool. 

You got it. With four cable method you plug your guitar into the input of the stomp and then your stomp left send goes to the input of your amp. Then the send from the amp goes to the left return of the stomp and then the left output of the stomp goes to the return of the amp. You have additionally taken your right output and send it to your fender guitar input. By having your split you can have snapshots toggle between the two and have a very flexible setup.