Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Effects A/B Switching Question

orangepopsongs

Is this setup possible:

i want to use the HX Effects to switch between my acoustic and electric setup. One preset for acoustic routed to left output to DI. One preset to right output to amp. Can’t figure this out. A/B setup still sends signal to both outputs even when i lower the volume on A or B to zero. 

Just to make sure, you’re talking about different presets rather than different snapshots within the same preset - right? You can connect both guitars simultaneously using the L and R inputs. You won’t need to change any physical connections when switching presets; leave both guitars connected. The challenge then is to configure your presets so that only one input at a time is processed in one of the parallel paths, and then force it to a summed-mono signal panned fully to the desired output.

You’ll need to use two presets (and copies thereof) for this. Each preset will use parallel paths with the path split occurring immediately in the preset.

The preset that processes the L input will pan the incoming signal in the Split Path block fully L (see manual pg 37). Both paths are stereo, so use a mono block at the end of each path to force a summed-mono signal. Then pan the Output block of the path to full L.

Do the reverse panning in the other preset for the incoming R signal.

With one cable I presume you will be physically swapping it between your acoustic and electric guitars, having only one of them connected at a time to the L/MONO input? If so I don’t understand the question. You simply create your different presets, with or without parallel paths, to suit the guitar being used. Then route the output as desired after forcing the signal to mono and panning it appropriately.

Please provide more details about your question.

• Upvote 1

On 7/17/2022 at 9:27 PM, orangepopsongs said:

Is this setup possible:

i want to use the HX Effects to switch between my acoustic and electric setup. One preset for acoustic routed to left output to DI. One preset to right output to amp. Can’t figure this out. A/B setup still sends signal to both outputs even when i lower the volume on A or B to zero. 

I think what’s confusing me is your reference to A and B, which means parallel paths. I think you might mean L and R outputs instead.  It’s important to realize that both parallel paths A and B are stereo; they do not correspond to L and R outputs. 

Connect your physical L and R outputs to DI and amp as I think you’ve already done. When constructing your presets you may or may not want to use parallel paths; it’s irrelevant. What’s important is that you make sure that the signal is mono when it reaches the Output block, and then pan it fully L or R depending on the desired output device (DI or amp). The easiest way to make sure you’ve got a mono signal is to avoid using stereo FX blocks. That will save DSP as well as keep things simpler.