Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Line 6 Helix Floor VS Skullcandy Crusher Wireless (Damages Headphones While Recording)

corebuilt33

Hello.

I'm beginning to think that the Skullcandy Crusher Wireless headphones and the Helix Floor do not work well together for recording. Let me explain... The headphones themselves work fine with the Helix up until the point when I arm a track on my Reaper DAW and start recording. As soon as I begin to record, all sound coming from the Helix sound horribly distorted. Even if I close reaper, disconnect the USB, and or restart the Helix. I typically only use the Skullcandy Crusher Wireless headphones as they are the only ones I own and I usually never really use the bluetooth wireless setting but today... I realized that after the sound distortion occurs, that they (the headphones) also seem to stop functioning bluetooth wise. Even if I connect the headphones directly to another device i.e headphone port of a computer speakers (to listen to Spotify) all the sound continues to sound distorted. Basically... the headphones are damaged until they magically fix themselves after a few hours.

1. Does anyone know why this occurs? Anyone else experience similar issues with other headphones?
  2. Why do the headphones work fine with the Helix Floor up until the point when I arm a track and hit record on my DAW? Electrical surge?

Today I've learned a little bit about Headphone Impedance as explained by Mitch Gallagher from Sweetwater. Anyone think that this might be the issue? I'm beginning to think that it might be. Btw, this has happened multiple times in the past, I just never tested the headphones on anything else until this evening and come to think about it now... this same issue also occurred with my Scarlet Solo and the same headphones. 

TLDR; It's not an issue with the Helix (I think). It might just be the headphones not being compatible with the Helix for recording.

I don't understand how you can put up with the BT Latency, but...

I'm totally guessing here since you didn't specify where the BT Transmitter is connected but try turning OFF the "Record Monitoring" switch in Reaper.

The transmitter may be having trouble with the initial signal from Helix followed a couple of ms later by the identical but slightly delayed signal from Reaper.

It could be causing a "Pan Law" type signal boost or?

Like I said, just guessing.