Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Record Out/Headphone Out (From Roland MicroCube) into PowerCab 112

scottstpierre

<TLDR>Using a Roland Microcube Headphone-Out into a Powercab, seems to sound great, but am curious if I'm heading for a quick downfall with any of the involved equipment.</TLDR> 

Here's the actual setup. Guitar into pedalboard, Signal ends with an EQ, Goes into Microcube, Microcube Headphone Jack goes into a Boss CE-3 Chorus pedal that splits the signal, which goes into a Behringer Reverb which keeps the signal stereo and then the two lines separate and hit the Powercabs.  I Usually would use the Pod GO as the main volume and keep the PowerCabs on Max, and that worked fine with the MicroCube as well, but wasn't sure if a better option would be only keep the Powercabs as loud as I'd need them, and play with the MicroCube's volume from there.

Also, with this rig I want to not have my Pod GO in it at all. This is just my therapy rig for at home on the other side of the basement. My Pod GO is usually plugged into my Workstation in a different part of the basement. 

Thanks for any suggestions. 

There's an Input Level LED on the Powercabs. Your loudest lead tone, played HARD, should push that LED into the AMBER range, maybe OCCASIONAL flashes of RED.

That's how you know you have the right level into the Powercab, by whatever means. Keep in mind that the VOLUME knob on the Powercab controls the OUTPUT level, NOT the INPUT level.

If the Powercab LEDs are set as above and you're getting signal distortion at those levels using the HP out of the Cube, the HP level (line level amplified to drive higher impedance headphones), while OK into the Line Inputs of the Powercab, is probably overdriving the pedal inputs which are designed for (much lower) instrument levels.

I don't KNOW that this would be the case, as I would use those pedals as designed, between guitar and Cube and not sweat the stereo aspect, but the above explanation seems electrically logical to me (NOT an engineer!).

It also seems logical that the higher VOLTAGE of the HP output COULD damage the pedals. Proceed with caution!

Suggestion: Two Joyo amp sim pedals would run you under $100 and allow you to use your existing pedals as designed.

• Thanks 1