Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

[HX Stomp] Best signal chain for my (ampless) needs?

nevver

Hi there, thank you for reading.

I'm a new Stomp user, but I've using Helix Native for a while so I kinda used to the interface, however, software is not the same as hardware.

I'm building an ampless-travel-home board. Something that allows me to record at home and play live as well (direct to PA/FOH). In any case there will be an amp involves.

So, right now, my chain goes as follows:

Guitar > left imput of HX stomp > headphones/PA

Then in the FX Loop of the Stomp:

SEND with a TRS Y cable > one side goes to JHS Morning Glory > Tube Screamer > RETURN left. 2nd side goes to OBNE MINIM > RETURN right.

The Minim will be used in certain situations, so my plan is only to set its block in a different patch when needed (because right now  I would need 2 blocks to use my dirt section and the external reverb/delay).

The other options I have thought about are:

Guitar > Dirt section > HX Stomp > headphones/PA

External reverb in the FX loop

The problem with this setup is that I don't have a preamp for my external OD pedals.

OR:

Guitar > Dirt section > HX Stomp > External reverb > headphones/PA. Not sure if this would even work with headphones.

The idea is that the pedalboard will remain unchanged for a while (few shows coming soon and I want the sound I have at home, live).

Any help is appreciated!

On 10/18/2022 at 10:58 AM, nevver said:

The problem with this setup is that I don't have a preamp for my external OD pedals.

By "OD pedals" do you mean the "Dirt Section"? Why would you need a preamp?

On 10/18/2022 at 10:58 AM, nevver said:

Guitar > Dirt section > HX Stomp > External reverb > headphones/PA. Not sure if this would even work with headphones.

No, it won't.

On 10/18/2022 at 10:16 PM, rd2rk said:

By "OD pedals" do you mean the "Dirt Section"? Why would you need a preamp?

No, it won't.

Yeah I mean just my two overdrive pedals. I was not sure, I thought I would need something between my guitar and the first pedal to "colour" the signal or whatever, but after reading for a bit it's not necessary as what the pedal expects is instrument signal.

So now I'm just debating if the first or the second options is the best. The first one has clearly more advantages as I could put a compressor or a fuzz from the Stomp before the pedals, but then the tone of the ODs (my external pedals) change a bit.

On 10/18/2022 at 2:27 PM, nevver said:

So now I'm just debating if the first or the second options is the best. The first one has clearly more advantages as I could put a compressor or a fuzz from the Stomp before the pedals, but then the tone of the ODs (my external pedals) change a bit.

Well, yeah, anything you put after the OD pedals will change the sound. If you're thinking about the Auto Impedance function, are your pedals True True Bypass? If YES then the Auto Impedance function will work as designed. If NO then your pickups are going to be loaded at whatever the Input Impedance of the pedals is. Always.

As stated previously, the second option won't work. You won't have the external reverb in your headphones.

On 10/19/2022 at 12:49 AM, rd2rk said:

Well, yeah, anything you put after the OD pedals will change the sound. If you're thinking about the Auto Impedance function, are your pedals True True Bypass? If YES then the Auto Impedance function will work as designed. If NO then your pickups are going to be loaded at whatever the Input Impedance of the pedals is. Always.

As stated previously, the second option won't work. You won't have the external reverb in your headphones.

By the second option, I meant this:

Yeah, all the pedals used are true bypass. I think it's just the tone that is changing, when they are in the FX loop (the overdrives) they feel more "nasal" but they might need just more tweaking.

On 10/18/2022 at 5:07 PM, nevver said:

By the second option, I meant this:

Yeah, all the pedals used are true bypass. I think it's just the tone that is changing, when they are in the FX loop (the overdrives) they feel more "nasal" but they might need just more tweaking.

Put OD/Dist/Fuzz before the HXS. Otherwise they tend to amplify the tiny amount of noise introduced by the FX Loop.

Also, IMO, they sound like crap in the FX Loop. Some people like that, go figure!

The FX Loop is always BEFORE the headphones, which mirror the Outputs.

• Upvote 1