Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Power amp simulation?

WLTSCHMRZ

So far for my day to day playing I have been plugging my pedalboard (which includes a pre-amp pedal) into my DAW, and used BIAS FX2 as a combined power amp/cab sim. Now, with the new Helix update I'd like to try out Native for that purpose instead. However, I'm not sure how to do this; FX2 has some options to bypass the preamp and tonestack of any amplifier, leaving you just with the poweramp and cab. Does Native have something like that too, or some kind of (single stage, if that is the right term?) amp model that would lend itself to simulate a power amp? 

On 11/10/2022 at 12:51 PM, WLTSCHMRZ said:

Now, with the new Helix update I'd like to try out Native for that purpose instead.

Hi,

Helix native is the plug-in version of the full Helix hardware device. In fact, technically it can be more than that, because it is not limited by the hardware versions on board DSP, the only limitation is your computer's available RAM. The things that it doesn't have are the hardware connectors, Loopers and the physical Send/Return and FX loops, everything else is the same built into a 64 bit AU, VST or AAX plug-in format. 60+ amps, 30+ cabinets and 100+ effects.

The best thing for you to do is to try it for yourself by loading it into your DAW and play around with it.

Go here and download the 15 day fully functional Free Trial:-

https://line6.com/helix/helixnative.html

Hope this helps/makes sense.

On 11/10/2022 at 4:14 PM, datacommando said:

Hi,

Helix native is the plug-in version of the full Helix hardware device. In fact, technically it can be more than that, because it is not limited by the hardware versions on board DSP, the only limitation is your computer's available RAM. The things that it doesn't have are the hardware connectors, Loopers and the physical Send/Return and FX loops, everything else is the same built into a 64 bit AU, VST or AAX plug-in format. 60+ amps, 30+ cabinets and 100+ effects.

The best thing for you to do is to try it for yourself by loading it into your DAW and play around with it.

Go here and download the 15 day fully functional Free Trial:-

https://line6.com/helix/helixnative.html

Oh I already have Native, I was just asking if there's some kind of option like in BIAS FX2, or if there's an amp model that can be used as a simple power amp.

On 11/10/2022 at 3:49 PM, WLTSCHMRZ said:

Oh I already have Native, I was just asking if there's some kind of option like in BIAS FX2, or if there's an amp model that can be used as a simple power amp.

Short answer - no - or rather not that I'm aware of.

All the amps in HX Native are either the full Amplifier, full Amplifier+Cabinet, or Preamp only.

I know many people do this the other way round by using a Helix model Preamp into anything from an Electro Harmonix 44 Magnum to a Seymour Duncan PowerStage 170 or whatever.

I realise people like to experiment, but is there something that you particularly don't like about the Helix full amplifier models that makes you want to use a different pre?

On 11/10/2022 at 6:19 PM, datacommando said:

Short answer - no - or rather not that I'm aware of.

All the amps in HX Native are either the full Amplifier, full Amplifier+Cabinet, or Preamp only.

I know many people do this the other way round by using a Helix model Preamp into anything from an Electro Harmonix 44 Magnum to a Seymour Duncan PowerStage 170 or whatever.

I realise people like to experiment, but is there something that you particularly don't like about the Helix full amplifier models that makes you want to use a different pre?

Ah bummer. As for the preamp, I run a Ground FX Burning Sunn (a Sunn Model T pre), which, indeed, was not part of the Helix lineup until recently (and whose inclusion I'm really excited about). I suppose there's probably a way to route the signal back out to my delay and reverb pedals from my interface, but it'd be a rather convoluted affair just to make Native work, I'm afraid. FX 2 works OK for me but I was hoping to test out those new cabs. Guess I'll have to hope for a power amp in a later update.

On 11/10/2022 at 7:11 PM, WLTSCHMRZ said:

I was hoping to test out those new cabs.

Hi,

Is it me - I really don’t see how there can be a problem here?

If you want to check out the new cabs - simply plug your guitar into your audio interface, open up the DAW and add HX Native as a channel insert plug-in. Set up any signal chain you wish in Native, including the full (Sunn) Moo)))n Model T and 4x12 (Sunn) Moo)))n T75 (single or dual) cabinet a choose from a whole bunch of (12) different mics, then play and enjoy! Rinse and repeat!

You may have a long wait for a straight power amp.

On 11/10/2022 at 8:34 PM, datacommando said:

Hi,

Is it me - I really don’t see how there can be a problem here?

If you want to check out the new cabs - simply plug your guitar into your audio interface, open up the DAW and add HX Native as a channel insert plug-in. Set up any signal chain you wish in Native, including the full (Sunn) Moo)))n Model T and 4x12 (Sunn) Moo)))n T75 (single or dual) cabinet a choose from a whole bunch of (12) different mics, then play and enjoy! Rinse and repeat!

You may have a long wait for a straight power amp.

Yeah, that it though, I want my pedals. And I'd have to buy another cable to send the signal back from my reverb and delay to the interface. What I hadn't considered is that I could just disable the cab in FX 2 and run Native after it, though it'll probably lead to sound or latency issues. I'll give it a try when I'm home.

• Like 1