Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

G50 wireless - cable tone frequency rolloff

themetallikid

Hey All....question, last night I was making some final tweaks on my Helix and I got to a preset where I use the acoustic sim, and my tone was 180 degrees different than how I dialed it in, and what I heard at practice 2 days prior.  This really stumped me for a bit.  I then started A/B'ing with the cable that I use when I set up my presets (I was practicing my set, so I was using my wireless this time) and as soon as I plugged my cable in, BAM, there was my acoustic tone that I dialed in.  

Now the weird thing was that this was 13 songs into my set, and I hadn't noticed any difference really in tone.  SOOOO.....questions.

1) Is the acoustic sim in the helix that high frequency driven that the cable tone would have such a dramatic affect on this sound but not any of my other tones?   I even tried the A/B comparison on a preset that uses a clean tone and hardly noticed a difference.  The difference was pretty staggering on the acoustic sound.  As a rough estimate, the cable'd version gave me a nice clear acoustic top end, where as the Relay'd (cable tone) version sounded like it was coming through a wall or a blanket, almost like the highs were rolled off down to 400hz.  

2) I noticed I did have the Cable Tone set to the max setting...not sure why I would have done that, unless it got bumped/moved at some point on my board and I never noticed.  However, once I dialed it to '0' my actual cable tone was back.  I then settled on about 11:00 on the dial, just short of halfway.  Seemed to sorta taper the highs in a pleasant way, but not put a wet blanket on the high end at  all.  Is there any sort of chart that shows what the different settings on the cable tone do?  Anyone have a fancy gadget that could graph that?  I'd be curious to see.