Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Does Metallurgy offer anything not possible in Helix since 3.50?

PsychBurger

I am interesting in buying EITHER the Metallurgy collection OR Helix Native.

I love the interface of Metallurgy BUT if Helix Native has all the same amps, cabs and effects and can recreate the same signal chains as Metallurgy (particularly Doom, also Thrash, not that into Modern Metal) then maybe my money is better spent on Helix Native and get the most possible effects and value.

Does Helix Native also have the presets that Metallurgy comes with?

I’m not sure whether Helix Native includes the complete set of amps, cabs, and FX in Metallurgy. That’s something you can answer for yourself with a little product research. For instance, helixhelp.com conveniently lists everything in Helix (and hence Helix Native). I’m not aware of anything like that for Metallurgy but it’s model set is much smaller and also well documented.

As for the signal chain, Helix Native includes hardware compatibility modes that can restrict presets to the limitations of the various Helix devices. I’m sure that the possibilities include anything that Metallurgy can do.

As for presets, Helix devices have their own set of factory presets and Helix Native provides them all, again based on the selected hardware compatibility mode. Hence Helix Native presets will not be identical to the Metallurgy presets but will give you the same sort of starting points for your custom preset design.

A quick followup...

There are some things that Metallurgy does/has that Helix doesn't. Metallurgy includes a Room mic option in the Cab section; Helix does not have this. Also, Metallurgy uses two channel mics on a single cab while Helix uses dual cabs. However, with Helix you can duplicate the cab and obtain the same two-mics-on-a-single-cab effect.