Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Catalyst 60 with Quad Cortex

zombiedon

Hey everyone, I have a quick question about connecting a Catalyst 60 and Quad Cortex.

If I want to use amps and effects from the QC with the Cat (and no cab IRs), would it be best to connect it this way?

Set Cat effects loop to Power Amp In

Guitar --> QC Input

QC Send --> Cat Return

I don't want to use any of the effects or EQ from the Cat when using the QC, I basically just want to use the Cat as a speaker only. I'm pretty new to modeling and this setup only uses 2 cables which seems weird to me so I want to make sure it's the correct method of connecting the two.

Thanks!

When doing this with my Helix I use the L/MONO Main Output.

I don't know for sure about the QC, but I'll bet the manual has a recommended method of connecting to a Power Amp.

Use that.

With Helix, the main difference between using a SEND vs the Main Out is the ability to use the Volume Knob to control the Output Level.

Also, note that there is a significant volume drop between using the Mode Switch on Power Amp In vs FX Loop.

I have no clue why that is.

If the only reason you're using the Power Amp In setting is to take the Cat's FX out, just turn the FX OFF!

I use one main preset (configured for 4cm) with snapshots that select the Cat's 6 Banks. I use the remaining two snapshots to turn OFF the Helix FX Loop Block and activate one or another of two of my favorite Helix amps. Those snapshots also send MIDI to the Cat that turns off whatever FX might have been ON in the previous snapshot.

IDK if that's possible with the QC. Again, RTM time!

Of course, you COULD just push the buttons. Just sayin'.

Further to my previous reply:

The Cat60 doesn't have a direct MIDI capability, but if you're only using it at home you can use MIDI over USB by loading a MIDI utility program such as MIDIOX or by using a DAW to redirect incoming MIDI.

Out of the house you can get a MIDI Host box (costs about the same as if you'd gotten the Cat100). It MIGHT also be possible to use a smart phone or iPad for MIDI over USB. I'll try that later today using AUM.

Doesn't work, but if you have a camera kit you might try connecting the USB from the QC and then try AUM.

Still won't work. Oh well, Host box or computer connection it is!