Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Pairing HX Stomp with plugins as interface

avanzzzi

Hi all,

Before you read, I'm sharing this to maybe bring new ideas to those using or willing to use HX Stomp as INTERFACE.

I use the Stomp and a lot of other sims mostly at home studio setting, always trying new things, A/B plugins, IRs an so on. Long story short, after some experiments I started using HX stomp as interface in the following way:

All starts with a preset named INTERFACE with some blocks disabled (GAIN, PEDAL, EQ, anything) and a FX LOOP L block.

Yeah, but why?

From the manual you can see the FX LOOP L is conected to USB input 3, so, with this setup you don't need to mess with the OUTPUT MAIN L/R Volume to kill the direct signal. This FX LOOP block will route the signal out of the main output and send it to whatever is connect to USB input 3. So, when you activate a track in the DAW and set it's source to input 3, you get the signal from where FX LOOP L left of, while monitoring with the Stomp. In other words, The FX LOOP acts like "from here on, the signal chain continues in the the DAW".

This turns HX Stomp into a very versatile interface, allowing the creation of "hybrid" chains.

You can put an AMP block in the HX (before the FX LOOP) and use an IR loader in DAW or, which I do frequently, use a pedal in the stomp (with the benefit of the impedance input circuit) into an AMP sim and IR Loader in the DAW an so on. If you are trying to match some tone you can just toggle the FX LOOP to switch between some AMP chain in STOMP and the DAW.

So, a list of PROs one can get from this setup. Of course, some can be accomplished if you use Native, but others can't:

- HX used as main interface.

- Use HX pedals in front of other plugins/Amp Sims. (benefit of the impedance input circuit)

- Use HX Eqs in front of other plugins.

- Use the gain block as input gain for Amp Sims that need it (just like an interface's "gain" knob).

- Test IRs in your DAW with your HX presets easily and load only the ones you like.

- Compare and match amps from HX with others by just toggling the FX LOOP block.

- Don't need rotate the output main knob down to zero every time you need to monitor only your DAW.

- Try other FX with your current presets.

- Monitor directly from HX Stomp.

- You still have the unprocessed signal for recording (put the FX LOOP L first in chain) just like using USB input 5.

This shows, once again, how versatile of a unit this is. If you are already using HX Stomp as interface give it try!

To me, using the HX Stomp as interface like this gives a lot more options than setting main output to zero with USB input 5.

Any ideas, thoughts or suggestions on the matter?

Thanks!

• Upvote 1

A couple things.

If you use a stereo send (SEND L/R) you can keep an end-to-end stereo signal for use with dual amps or stereo processors.

Set the DRY THRU parameter of the SEND Block to -120db. That prevents the dry signal from going directly to the MAIN 1/2 OUTS and being mixed with the return from the plugin.

ADVANCED VERSION:

Set the Input Block to USB 5/6. Plug your guitar into L/MONO Return. Split the Path with a RETURN L Block followed by whatever FX you want BEFORE the plugin on Path B, then pull down the MERGE/MIX Block to completely split the paths. Set the Split to A/B with the signal panned full LEFT (Path A). Add whatever FX you want AFTER the plugin to Path A.

Your signal path will be Guitar into RETURN L>Path B FX to USB 3/4>Plugin (I use this configuration with ToneX)>USB 5/6 from plugin to Path A Input and FX>Main Outs 1/2.

Your plugin (or Standalone if not using a DAW) should have its Input set to USB 3 (or 3/4 if using stereo FX before the plugin) and its Outputs set to USB 5/6.

NOTE: you lose the auto impedance function, but that only matters if you ABSOLUTELY MUST use FX that require the lower impedance settings for AUTHENTIC tone (mostly older fuzzes).

Demo preset attached.

ToneX.hlx

• Upvote 1

A couple things.

If you use a stereo send (SEND L/R) you can keep an end-to-end stereo signal for use with dual amps or stereo processors.

Set the DRY THRU parameter of the SEND Block to -120db. That prevents the dry signal from going directly to the MAIN 1/2 OUTS and being mixed with the return from the plugin.

That's exactly what I'm doing. When I use the FX LOOP L (can be the Stereo FX LOOP too) and not routing my outputs to USB, It's the same as use the SEND L or SEND L/R with DRY THRU muted.

Add whatever FX you want AFTER the plugin to Path A.

I remember trying this exactly setup and I agree, it works better, but I found it easier to just use the FX LOOP that way as it is simpler and it's enough to use HX Stomp FX before amp sims, while muting main outputs at the same time.

The signal path is:
Guitar IN > (HX FX, GAIN, PEDAL, ...) > FX LOOP L (enabled) > USB INPUT 3 (DAW) > PLUGINS (MAIN OUTPUT IS MUTED)

Guitar IN > (HX FX, GAIN, PEDAL, ...) > FX LOOP L (disabled) > MAIN OUTPUT (HX Stomp) (DAW OUTPUT IS MUTED)

Just add the FX LOOP L (L/R) block and toggle between what's AFTER the FX LOOP L (L/R) and what's in your DAW Track set to USB Input 3 (or 3/4)

On 12/23/2022 at 8:44 PM, avanzzzi said:

That's exactly what I'm doing. When I use the FX LOOP L (can be the Stereo FX LOOP too) and not routing my outputs to USB, It's the same as use the SEND L or SEND L/R with DRY THRU muted.

I remember trying this exactly setup and I agree, it works better, but I found it easier to just use the FX LOOP that way as it is simpler and it's enough to use HX Stomp FX before amp sims, while muting main outputs at the same time.

The signal path is:
Guitar IN > (HX FX, GAIN, PEDAL, ...) > FX LOOP L (enabled) > USB INPUT 3 (DAW) > PLUGINS (MAIN OUTPUT IS MUTED)

Guitar IN > (HX FX, GAIN, PEDAL, ...) > FX LOOP L (disabled) > MAIN OUTPUT (HX Stomp) (DAW OUTPUT IS MUTED)

Just add the FX LOOP L (L/R) block and toggle between what's AFTER the FX LOOP L (L/R) and what's in your DAW Track set to USB Input 3 (or 3/4)

Thanks for posting your preset. Very helpful.

• Haha 1

On 12/23/2022 at 8:44 PM, avanzzzi said:

The signal path is:

That's why I wanted the actual preset. See the BOLDED parts above.

Using the FX Loop works but is unnecessary as you're only using the SEND half of the Loop. A more "elegant" solution is to use a SEND L with the DRY THRU set to -120db. Your method works, I just would do it differently. NBD.

The Output muting is just unnecessary.

When the FX Loop is enabled, there's no signal passing THRU the FX Loop to the second half of the signal chain and the return signal from the DAW is going straight to the Main Outs, bypassing everything after the FX Loop.

When the FX Loop is disabled, no signal is being sent TO the DAW, therefore there's no signal returning FROM the DAW and no need to MUTE the DAW Output.

If you also want to record the FX Loop Bypassed signal, just create another track with USB 1/2 as inputs.

Be sure to turn OFF the Track Monitor Switch to prevent an echo.

Small things, but you did ask for comments...

Try the attached mod to your preset.

Sorry if I was a bit testy about posting the preset. My brain works best when looking at both an explanation and a practical implementation.

I try to be helpful with everyone who posts here. You'd be surprised at how many people want me to re-write the manual and create complex custom solutions for them, but if I ask them to post an example of the preset they're working with they act like it's a CIA National security need to know thing. AARGH!

Merry Christmas!

LOOP Mod.hlx

• Upvote 1

Thanks! That's exactly the kind of discussion I was looking when I started this, really appreciate your opinions and comments!

When I wrote something was muted, I was not muting it in any way, it just happens because of the routings.

You described it in a much better way, hope this help others trying these setups. I will certainly try the preset and bring some ideas later.

Merry Christmas !

• Upvote 1

Ok, following your advice to keep things more clear I created a Send L/R with Dry Thru set to -120db in the favorites section.

There's the main preset to use the Stomp as interface but, sometimes, I just want to test a new IR pack with one or two presets so I'll just throw this Send L/R last in the chain and disable the cab/IR block. Enable the input 3/4 in DAW with an IR Loader and I'm good to test thousand of IRs with my main presets in the Stomp.

I was revisiting your tonex preset and that's really better, the only drawback being the need to use Return L as input. If only there was a way to return from that SEND L/R in my original preset (without chaining another interface in the HX Stomp loop) it would be awesome.