Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

PC+ Line or Mic level out into mixer

amasteve

I just purchased a PC112+, the manual says you can switch between mic or line level out on the xlr outs.  I am sending the signal to a mixer. The regular PC112 (NOT plus) is mic level out only.  So, for the PC+, Which is better, mic level or line level out to the mixer or does it matter?  Thanks!

On 12/23/2022 at 2:08 PM, amasteve said:

I just purchased a PC112+, the manual says you can switch between mic or line level out on the xlr outs.  I am sending the signal to a mixer. The regular PC112 (NOT plus) is mic level out only.  So, for the PC+, Which is better, mic level or line level out to the mixer or does it matter?  Thanks!

It depends on the mixer. There's usually a switch or a pot on the mixer channel that sets the incoming level and an LED that indicates overload. MIC level is lower than LINE level. Start with MIC level at the PC's XLR (DIRECT) Out and set the mixer's switch/pot accordingly. Remember that the level being sent to the XLR Out is relative to the level that's hitting the PC's Input, NOT the setting of the PC's Volume knob. Generally accepted practice is to have the PC's Input LED in the yellow/amber when your modeler's preset is at maximum (all ODs and Boosts ON) and digging in. If you're setting the PC's XLR out to MIC and the mixer's channel is overloading despite setting its pad switch/knob at its lowest setting, then you have to turn down the PC's Input 1/2 Gain (I leave them linked so I only need to turn one down). This way if you've got your presets properly level matched you don't need to mess with the preset levels.