Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Latest HX Edit and Native still asking for Rosetta on M1?

PierM

Hi folks,

I was excited to install HX Edit and Native on a brand new MacBook Pro M1 (Monterey), and from what I've read around I was sure they were both running native (Universal), without the Rosetta subsystem for the Intel instructions.

Reality is I'm being asked to install Rosetta as soon as I try to install HX Edit 3.51 or Native 3.51, which I DON'T WANT TO DO as it does bottleneck Ableton Live and everything else running into it.

Am I missing something?

So in the end I have seen that all HX software for mac is running as "intel" process which means Rosetta is mandatory.

As far as I can say, and unless I really missed something obvious, this statement isnt true.

Apple Silicon Support

Helix Native

The Helix Native VST/AU/AAX plug-in now natively supports M1 and newer Apple computers without Rosetta. NOTE: HX Edit software has worked with M1 Macs from day one.

After lot of tests, my suggestion for M1 users is to NOT install the L6 drivers and just use the native core audio from apple. You still have access to all Helix/HX USB channels, but you can only work at 48Khz. M1 doesnt like high buffer numbers (as those you need to use with L6 drivers), as the system think it's a low demanding task and assign the pipeline to the Efficiency Cores, which are weaker and easier to clip. Yes, with M1 the higher the buffer, the worse. At least until they will give devs the proper access to core priority.

Just as example, using HXStomp as interface on this macbook (M1 pro CPU10/GPU16), I can go with 32samples at 48Khz with 8ms (4+4) roundtrip. That's great for playing AU plugins and softsynths. With L6 drivers you need much higher buffer, which means more latency and more CPU because it runs on E cores...

On the other hand, an old Scarlett 6i6 runs like a rocket on these machines.

• 4 weeks later...

Can we get an answer from Line 6 on this? Just bought myself an M1 Mac book pro, M1 Pro cpu10/gpu16, and want to download HX edit. Everywhere is saying you no longer need rosetta... However it is asking me to download rosetta to DL HX edit... I simply just want to update my helix to the latest firmware.

On 1/24/2023 at 11:43 PM, EllLeigh said:

Can we get an answer from Line 6 on this? Just bought myself an M1 Mac book pro, M1 Pro cpu10/gpu16, and want to download HX edit. Everywhere is saying you no longer need rosetta... However it is asking me to download rosetta to DL HX edit... I simply just want to update my helix to the latest firmware.

Usually when that message appears Mac Os is already installing Rosetta, which happens silently and only one time.

I'm saying that because as you, I've been asked to download rosetta at first HX edit launch that I aborted (same with Native), but later when I tried again, that message was gone, and HX Edit has been installed.

After that I've seen HX Edit was flagged as "intel" process, so I'm pretty sure Rosetta has been silently installed without any further warning.

As for L6, they will never answer that question so, I wouldn't hold my breath.