Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Floor Pedal Broken?

journeyman73

I started using a Helix Floor that I've had for a while this past weekend - using HX Edit, creating presets, etc....and using the Exp pedal for the first time.

After about a minute of usage, it lost all tension and just flops to a toe down position.  After some initial research, I realized there is an Allen wrench and bolt that can adjust tension (most posts I have seen seem to refer to a problem with the pedal being way too stiff, though mine is the opposite issue).

After tightening the bolt as far as I can - which makes the pedal incredibly stiff - even after a few cycles through up and down the pedal goes from incredibly stiff to completely free floating, again, and goes back to flopping to a toe down position.

It seems to me like there is something abnormal and I am going to need to get it repaired by an authorized repair place - but just wanted to see if I somehow missing something and/or if there is anything else I can do?

thanks!

The mechanism is very simple, it’s a big thick bolt with a nut. You can tighten or loosen the bolt. 

Make small adjustments.  You may need to lubricate it if the movement is not smooth. 

If you are out of warranty, you can just take the back panel off and take the things apart: lubricator it with lithium grease and make sure it’s right enough. I fixed mine and it’s been good for a year now. 

On 2/26/2023 at 12:56 PM, theElevators said:

The mechanism is very simple, it’s a big thick bolt with a nut. You can tighten or loosen the bolt. 

Make small adjustments.  You may need to lubricate it if the movement is not smooth. 

If you are out of warranty, you can just take the back panel off and take the things apart: lubricator it with lithium grease and make sure it’s right enough. I fixed mine and it’s been good for a year now. 

Sorry, if not clear enough.

I have tightened the bolt.  Every time after tightening, when I engage and use it for a few seconds it works itself completely loose again.

Does that sound like a lubricant issue?

On 2/26/2023 at 1:25 PM, theElevators said:

To me yes it sounds like it’s a lubrication issue. 

thanks - ill open it up and see what I can do.  I assume after taking the panel off the pedal mechanism will be pretty self explanatory and i just lubricate all the parts?

Lithium grease is something you can pick up in every run of the mill hardware store?

On 3/2/2023 at 12:16 PM, journeyman73 said:

thanks - ill open it up and see what I can do.  I assume after taking the panel off the pedal mechanism will be pretty self explanatory and i just lubricate all the parts?

Lithium grease is something you can pick up in every run of the mill hardware store?

Yep, it's just a bolt, some washers, a nut.  If the nut keeps loosening, then there's some excessive friction that is happening.  Lubrication should fix it.  You can even add some plumbers tape so that the nut stays in place to prevent it from loosening by itself.  Yep, all that stuff is sold in your hardware store.  Very simple mechanism, but if things are not tightened enough or not lubricated, then you'll have issues.  Make sure to really tighten the "claw" screws, mine were loose and that caused all sorts of issues.

This video illustrates what's involved.  Watch it multiple times and good luck. 

I had a similar issue, aside from a spider taking up residence and the web screwing up the sensor. The large T shaped washer had residue/wear that wouldn't come off with simple soap and water. They are the grey washers. I used super fine sandpaper and wet sanded the junk off, followed by 0000 steel wool to polish it up. Lubricated per the procedure and adjusted. Works great now.