Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Setup “sequence” for external amp control?

boynigel

Trying to use my LT to change channels on my Bad Cat amp.  Initially I had trouble because after assigning the foot switch via command center it didn’t work.  After reading the vucking manual I found my error was that I hadn’t assigned the Ext amp/exp pedal jack to Ext Amp.  As soon as I did this I could change channels via the assigned foot switch on my LT.  Immediately after achieving this, I shut everything down as I had something to do.  When I came back a little while later I was unable to achieve the channel switching functionality.  Went back, checked my settings which were correct, just as I’d saved them.  Toggled them back and forth but nothing changed.

Opened a ticket w/Line 6 and they were stumped.  Their best guess was that I needed to recreate the sequence of how I originally achieved amp switching capabilities…which I was not paying any attention to at the time, because I didn’t need to.  They suggested turning amp on first, then connecting cables, and vice-versa…then starting with the Helix on, and the amp off, and vice-versa, and a bunch of other setting choice and connection sequences.  I think I’ve pretty much exhausted all possible sequences but I figured I’d see if anyone else has run in to this issue, where they might have had to set things up in a certain order, and what that order was for them.

I’d almost be more content if I knew my amp just happened to one of those amps that simply can’t do channel switching via Helix, but knowing that it can be achieved after seeing it w/my own eyes is bugging the hell out of me.  Yes, I did try different cables and the factory TS foot switch for the amp works perfectly. 

On 3/16/2023 at 6:26 PM, boynigel said:

Trying to use my LT to change channels on my Bad Cat amp.

Yes Nigel, as you have told us repeatedly - without success!

Asking the same question over and over expecting a different result is …

Have you tried asking those nice people at Bad Cat amps why you can’t achieve the mystery of channel switching.

or try this:

Hope this helps/makes sense.

On 3/16/2023 at 4:19 PM, datacommando said:

Have you tried asking those nice people at Bad Cat amps why you can’t achieve the mystery of channel switching.

since the manual states the importance of the amp's foot switch jack being "short to sleeve foot switch", yes, they were the first people I reached out to.  and yes, they were very nice.

On 3/16/2023 at 4:19 PM, datacommando said:

Asking the same question over and over expecting a different result is

...a guy still fishing for an answer that no one has been able to answer as of yet.  it's like the not-so-attractive guy at the nightclub who plays the numbers game.  ask enough attractive women to dance, and eventually one will bite.  maybe a person who had a similar experience, and has the answer, wasn't around here at the time of my other posts?  

regardless of repeat questions, the issue I'm having is real, unresolved, and not for a lack of trying.  and YOU don't have the answer betacommando, so I'll keep trying from time to time.  

On 3/16/2023 at 11:45 PM, boynigel said:

saw this weeks ago.  didn't work.  thanks though buddy

If using the Command Centre didn’t manage to swap channels then I would suspect that something else is causing the issue. Theoretically, the Command Centre should be able to control any function including channel switching, as clearly demonstrated in the video. There are caveats as shown in this other video below.

After this amount of time, I would quite simply use the foot switches that ship with the Bad Cat amp - life’s too short.

Also, Line 6 have said previously that the channel switching function cannot be guaranteed to work with every model of amp - too many variables I guess.

Technology, eh?

Edited by datacommando
Added vid

On 3/17/2023 at 5:59 AM, datacommando said:

After this amount of time, I would quite simply use the foot switches that ship with the Bad Cat amp - life’s too short.

But I've been spoiled by single-button foot switch pushes via snapshots while using the Helix in stand-alone!  now i'm expected to push two buttons?  what are we, animals?  I saw this ^ video too, BTW.  Seen pretty much all of them.  Like i said, throwing in the towel would be easier to accept had i not gotten it to work, if only for the 10 seconds before turning it off.  I hear you though.  

Plus, even if i got it to work, there would then be the new problem of why it was humming like a mofo (while in 4cm in addition to the external amp cable being attached).  Ground lifts didn't work, nor did changing outlets, but as soon as i removed the cable from my amp's footswitch jack to the LT's EXT Amp/Exp 2 jack, the hum went away.  No issues w/4cm alone.  Always fun chasing hum sources.  I've a love/hate w/Bad Cat, wouldn't be surprised if the problem is on their end.  They do some things "different" for sure.

On 3/17/2023 at 2:02 PM, boynigel said:

had i not gotten it to work, if only for the 10 seconds before turning it off.

Are you certain that those 10 seconds were not the death throes of the connection before it totally died?

Maybe you need a necromancer not a technician.

both the amp's, and the LT's connections work as they should.  The second I switched the global setting for the Exp 2 jack from Exp pedal, to Ext Amp, boom- it worked.  I then toggled my assigned footswitch multiple times and saw the amp's channel lights change back and forth each time, thought to myself, "success, cool!", shut it down, and here we are.  So yes, a necromancer.  Maybe even an exorcism.  

On 3/17/2023 at 4:16 PM, boynigel said:

Maybe even an exorcism.

Hi,

I did a bit of digging around regarding amp switching issues especially as you mentioned:-

Plus, even if i got it to work, there would then be the new problem of why it was humming like a mofo (while in 4cm in addition to the external amp cable being attached).  Ground lifts didn't work, nor did changing outlets, but as soon as i removed the cable from my amp's footswitch jack to the LT's EXT Amp/Exp 2 jack, the hum went away.”

See the final comment regarding ground hum, posted by @Schmalle