Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Effects - 4CM with Revv D20 - Levels Good, Tone BRIGHTER with Fx Loop in HX?

guitarzan_josh

HI All,

Just nabbed a HX Effects and I'm curious what I may be missing when trying to run in 4CM with my Revv D20.  When I bypass the HX FX it has my normal "tone" but when its "active" and my preamp is running through the FX Loop of the HX, the tone is significantly brighter.  It is not a levels issue, its a tone issue.  The levels are unity.

Is there a global eq in this unit?  How could this be coloring the tone and making it brighter? It does this with no other effects in the signal chain (other than the FX Loop 1 block).   I am using multiple drives prior to the input of the HX.  I'll try to see if this occurs without those in the chain shortly.

Here is the signal chain:

Guitar > Pedals > HX FX Input (inst level) > HX Fx loop 1 send (inst level) > Amp Input > Amp Send > HX Fx loop 1 Rtrn (inst level) > Hx Fx Out (inst level) > Amp Return  

Am I missing something here?

On 4/13/2023 at 6:04 PM, Schmalle said:

How can you hear your normal tone with the HX bypassed? If the HX is bypassed - so should be the preamp of the D20. Are you inadvertently using the D20's loop set to 'pre'?

THIS!!!  This is what I needed to hear.  Thank you.  What I was perceiving to be my "base" tone was actually NOT...it was my preamp being bypassed as well so I was hearing my pedals right into the power amp section SUPER clean.  Ugh.  Thanks again!

• Thanks 1

Once it's setup it sounds pretty awesome. Next for me is setting the D20 preamp to be pretty clean and then sticking some Helix preamps as the first block in the effects loop. Kind of like an "amp in a box pedal". Sticking it in the effects loop should avoid having the Helix preamp overdriving the D20 preamp.