Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Multi-Band Compressor on mids vs EQ

surfsup1955

Did a search on the MB Comp and found the above topic, some really good info there so I thought I’d link it and create a new post in lieu of a resurrection.  Also, my input is more in line with using the MBcomp specifically to tame the mid EQs on acoustic guitar in addition to the Parametric EQ.  I have successfully used the Para for years with my acoustic but recently delved into my main preset to see what I could do to tame the pick attack harshness in the mids.  That dead ring sound that I hate.  I need another day to re-check with fresh ears, but I think I have found a good use for this MBcomp in this preset, in fact it might even be pretty frigg’n good?!  

You can think of the Helix multiband compression as a three-band graphic EQ where you can choose the frequency ranges for each band. The parametric is more about boost and cut rather than amplifying or attenuating a range of frequencies.

I use the MG compressor a lot to create 3-band crossovers for multiband presets, without necessarily using any compression. If you have my Helix eBook, the Favorites folder in the Free Files section has presets for high/mid/low crossovers using the MB Compressor.

I did an article about using multiband compressors for equalization. It's not specifically about the Helix MB compressor, but the principles are the same. It might give you some ideas on how to extend the MB Comp for other applications. Fun stuff! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 4/19/2023 at 2:14 AM, craiganderton said:

You can think of the Helix multiband compression as a three-band graphic EQ where you can choose the frequency ranges for each band. The parametric is more about boost and cut rather than amplifying or attenuating a range of frequencies.

I use the MG compressor a lot to create 3-band crossovers for multiband presets, without necessarily using any compression. If you have my Helix eBook, the Favorites folder in the Free Files section has presets for high/mid/low crossovers using the MB Compressor.

I did an article about using multiband compressors for equalization. It's not specifically about the Helix MB compressor, but the principles are the same. It might give you some ideas on how to extend the MB Comp for other applications. Fun stuff! 

I’ll definitely read the article Craig, thanks.  Regarding the MBcomp, I was able to dial in a threshold for the mids for my D18 (Martin) preset which softened the attack (ring sound).  Then I went back to the Q setting on my ParaEQ and was able to pull that back some to let some of the problem low-mid frequency back into my tone.  So playing the MBcomp and ParaEQ off of each other is a pretty effective tool - especially for acoustic guitar.  I’m totally onboard with the MBcomp now, have all ideas I’ll be using it more across my other presets.  Look’n fwd to the read..