Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Issue with Helix Floor USB Output and Recording Levels

Imyourcluster

Hello everyone,

I'm experiencing a puzzling issue with my Helix Floor from Line 6 and I was hoping someone here could provide some guidance. When I connect my Helix Floor to my computer via USB and use it as an audio interface, I typically connect my headphones to the "Phones" output on the Helix Floor.

when I set the output on the Helix Floor to "USB 1/2," I can only hear the audio if I enable the track monitoring in my DAW (Cubase Pro). However, when I set the output to "Digital," I can hear the signal even if the track monitoring within Cubase is turned off.
So far so good.

Here's the problem: 
when I choose the "1/4" output, I can hear the signal, but it's at a lower volume compared to when I select "Digital." Strangely, when I choose the "Multi" output, the signal is significantly louder, as if the volumes of both the 1/4" output and the Digital output are being combined. Is it normal?

The issue arises when I start recording in my DAW; the recorded signal is noticeably lower in volume than what I hear in my headphones (when I'm in "MULTI".
Unfortunately, there seems to be a mismatch between the audio I'm hearing and what is being recorded.

I've checked and adjusted the recording levels within my DAW, made sure the input gain on the Helix Floor is set appropriately, and verified the routing settings. I've also checked the volume settings on the Helix Floor and within Cubase, but the problem persists.

Has anyone encountered a similar issue or have any suggestions for troubleshooting steps?

Also:
Is there anyeay to set the output type (multi, digital, USB 1/2 etc) in global settings?

I'd greatly appreciate any assistance or insights you can provide.

Thank you in advance for your help!

On 5/16/2023 at 11:49 AM, Imyourcluster said:

when I set the output on the Helix Floor to "USB 1/2," I can only hear the audio if I enable the track monitoring in my DAW (Cubase Pro).

That is normal. Your signal is being routed over USB and returned to your AI (in this case Helix) over USB which enters Helix at the Output Block, which is also where the HP signal is taken from.

when I choose the "1/4" output, I can hear the signal, but it's at a lower volume compared to when I select "Digital." Strangely, when I choose the "Multi" output, the signal is significantly louder, as if the volumes of both the 1/4" output and the Digital output are being combined. Is it normal?

Yes, normal. Pick one, or use Multi if required and use the Volume knob to compensate.

The issue arises when I start recording in my DAW; the recorded signal is noticeably lower in volume than what I hear in my headphones (when I'm in "MULTI".
Unfortunately, there seems to be a mismatch between the audio I'm hearing and what is being recorded.

Your HP level is controlled by the HP Volume Knob. As for the low recording level:

Recording Levels: Digital Recording | Should you be Tracking at -18 dBFS? (decibelpeak.com)

What is the Ideal Level to Record Tracks into a DAW? (sweetwater.com)

Is there anyeay to set the output type (multi, digital, USB 1/2 etc) in global settings?

No, that's done per preset at the Output Block.

On 5/16/2023 at 9:02 PM, rd2rk said:

Your HP level is controlled by the HP Volume Knob. As for the low recording level:

Recording Levels: Digital Recording | Should you be Tracking at -18 dBFS? (decibelpeak.com)

What is the Ideal Level to Record Tracks into a DAW? (sweetwater.com)

No, that's done per preset at the Output Block.

Thanks for the reply.

I understand that the volume of my headphones can impact the level of what I hear during monitoring. However, I still don't get why the recorded signal ends up being lower in volume compared to what I hear during monitoring.

I also wonder if the recording is happening with a different gain level compared to what I hear, or if it's merely a difference that reflects in the monitoring.

On 5/16/2023 at 2:23 PM, Imyourcluster said:

However, I still don't get why the recorded signal ends up being lower in volume compared to what I hear during monitoring.

Did you read the links I sent? That explains the recorded signal level.

You neither NEED nor WANT to set the Output Block to USB 1/2. Set that to whatever output you normally use and set the HP to monitor that output.

When using Helix as AI USB 1/2 is ALWAYS active. If you're listening to the signal though the DAW (Track Monitor ON) you're playing against your system's latency.

If you're playing through your normal Helix Output monitored in your HP, that is ZERO LATENCY or DIRECT MONITORING.

To summarize: 

Set the Helix Output Block to Multi (for easiest example).

Set Global Settings>Input/Output>Headphones Monitor = Multi

Set the Track Input Source to USB 1/2, Track Monitor Switch OFF.

Track Level 0db; Master Level 0db.

Set your Helix HP to a comfortable level.

Record some chords. Stop. SAVE.

Play back the recording.

What you hear in your HP on playback should be equal to what you heard when recording.

If not, you did something wrong.

What DAW are you using?

• Upvote 1