Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Hi. I recently bought the Redwirez BigBox Vintage Classic IR pack and I am genuinely lost.

John_Sandilau

I am looking forward to choose some good IRs classic SRV Fender tones and other Marshall and Matchless tone building ideas but I really can't understand how to choose the right mic or position that would fit my presets (or combination of 2 IRs simultaneously). I am also looking for some good Hiwatt Fane Speaker IRs within the package, which are great, to fit my David Gilmour tones (which I am really OCD about), but I really can't understand how to choose from such a vast collection of sounds. If anyone could help me out, I'd really appreciate it! I am really struggling with finding those clean chimie and full of headroom Fane IRs to at least aget this preset going. 

I have searched through countless forums both from Line 6 or Reddit or random websites but nothing worked for me so far. Any advice or suggestions of IRs are more than appreciated!

Thanks a lot!

Start here. It was written for the old versions, but it's all about mics.

People who excel at mic'ing amps spend a lifetime learning how. Mostly thru experimentation.

Sorry, there's no magic "Do this for great tone every time!".

FWIW - the most commonly used formula is an SM57, Cone Edge 1" off the grill, plus an R121 back about 3-4 inches.

This is approximately Mix 01 in the York Audio packs, which many people swear by.

EDIT: Don't blow off the newer Helix cabs. They are just IRs and provide the same flexibility as the Redwirez without needing to load a new IR for every change, just not as many cab options (yet). I don't know about the new Redwirez version, but the original had just about every mic position and cab possible. So many that it was overwhelming and is at least in part responsible for making the aftermarket of "sounds like (heavy dark thick thin etc)" IR creators possible.

DialingInYourTone.pdf

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

On 6/27/2023 at 4:31 PM, John_Sandilau said:

@rd2rk I have done this already and I am still lost. I was hoping maybe you can suggest me some mics that work best for certain tones or mic placements and distances.

If you read the .pdf I sent and you're still lost, I don't know what to tell you. It's the best amp mic'ing primer that I know of.

• Upvote 2